creosote remover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muleman51

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone had good results with creosote remover. My Adobe boiler is caked up so that it is not working well.It is made virtually impossible to remove panel to clean it. This is a poor design. Only wish I had known. No useful help from the company at all. So if you have had good results with creosote remover let me know.Thanks

This boiler is supposed to be a gassification unit and burn at 2000. But it is still gunked up.

Remover?

Get in touch with the manufacture and see what they reccomend. Not impressed with easy fixes out there.

I have seen this happen and its cause is green wood.
burn some cut up pallets or wood that is very dry and it will clean itself out.

Agree with Bassman, iffin you can't get at the internals get that puppy rockin' once in a while to keep the guts clean, there is no magic powders that are worth spit, I think anyways, what the heck is in the cleaning logs etc. etc., powdered aluminum or mag? Nice. I think this is a problem many boilers have when people continuosly smolder low temp fires, hm, stoves too, ya have to do regular blazes, if even for a short time, to burn the build up out, if you have a real mess in there then have a garden hose ready to cool it down (the fire, gently so ya don't crack stuff) I think. Interested to see other's opinions and solutions. Pretty sure its been dicussed before, try a search here and/or google a bit for other solutions/opinions. Oh, I find an old axe handle an invaluable tool for beating on pipes etc. to knock stuff off the insides, careful though as the creosote does tend to burn very hot (sometimes not a bad thing).
My wee 0.02$ worth fer the afternoon. :D

:cheers: & Welcome to the site!

Serge

Last edited:
ive heard putting salt on a hot bed of coals will remove creosote

This is an old fix. Salt lowers the combustion temperature of the creosote enough for it to burn away B U T. . . :
- Salt is corrosive to stainless chimney liners.
- Salt damages the morter between flue tiles.

Read that link RayB, obviously they hold themselves in high regard lol, as per OP's post. But, given the heat tolerance of the unit I maintain that a couple of really hot fires should cure its ills, my opinion. Yup on salt vs. stainless and mortar, this is why we don't burn ocean driftwood around here much, I've seen the damage it can do to brick chimneys, turned the mortar to powder, not good.

:cheers:

Serge

Before you try a very hot fire make sure your chimney is clean. I think you need a good hot fire as well to clean it out. Just check your chimney so you don't get a fire in there as well.

Has anyone had good results with creosote remover. My Adobe boiler is caked up so that it is not working well.It is made virtually impossible to remove panel to clean it. This is a poor design. Only wish I had known. No useful help from the company at all. So if you have had good results with creosote remover let me know.Thanks

I've had good luck with the Rutland Creosote remover. Even the stuff at the top of the chimney chips straight away (it turns creosote into dust).

I haven't read similar reviews, however.

So, maybe we could just throw in a case of tater chips? Then we'd have the starch AND the salt.:laugh: Or popcorn :popcorn:

most of the creosote removers are TSP (tri sodium phosphate) they do help by reacting with the black creosote and turning it into a brownish substance that is more friable or powdery---you still have to hit it with a chimney brush and clean up with a shop vac or something

Back