Crossing the country, looking for the "you suck" deals!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
Well, I'm heading out of Georgia here soon (about an hour) and heading through Atlanta, then Greenville, SC, through Charlotte, NC and then to Lynchburg, VA. Eating breakfast at the Waffle House there with my daughter and then heading north to Harrisburg, PA and on up towards Wilkes Barre. East from there towards NYC but cutting north (I HATE driving in NYC) and having supper with my son at West Point. Then we're heading east and winding up in New London, CT where we'll be spending the weekend with my other son that's at the US Coast Guard Academy.

I will be searching every CL along the way looking for the elusive "you suck" deals. I've picked up a few saws doing this in the past and once came home with 10 bars for $50. There are a lot more $125 Wild Things than there are good deals. I am resolved to only pursue great sounding saws and leaving all the ok deals alone.
My wife helps with this because she isn't a saw nut but tolerates my weaknesses.

Saws that would cause me to detour would be a nice MS361 or 036, a nice MS440 or 044, and I also have a soft spot for the 026 but don't need any. Did I just say "need"? Oops!

When I arrive back home on Monday, I will have about 24-30 hours to change suitcases and then I'm heading to the Amazon. I heard they cut down the rain forest so I'm going to check it out myself. Be back mid November. gonna miss almost all of deer season:(

I'll have internet this week but in Brazil probably very little if any as I'll be in a remote part of Amazonas (if it's still there)
I'll let ya'll know my findings when I return.

I'm glad you're headed out. I am actually in your backyard (Macon) for a couple of days. I have been checking the local CL for a couple of days...you muhsta already cleaned out the deals.

I was using my phone to find pawn shops along my route to VA last week. Since I already have loads of saws I asked if they had any big saws (70 cc's +). Called a dozen before I found a running MS460 Magnum for $130 out the door. Was far better than wasting my time visiting each one in person.

Good luck on your quest and a big THANK YOU to your boys and their service to our country.

Ta heck with CL junk..you are going to Brazil where they still make some cool big saws that they don't sell in the USA anymore. Maybe you can figure out how to ship "used saw parts" back..

..just saying...like this here

HUSQVARNA 288 XP® - Motosserras

Or maybe an 090 sitting on a dealer's shelf or something...

Ta heck with CL junk..you are going to Brazil where they still make some cool big saws that they don't sell in the USA anymore. Maybe you can figure out how to ship "used saw parts" back..

..just saying...like this here

HUSQVARNA 288 XP® - Motosserras

Or maybe an 090 sitting on a dealer's shelf or something...

Well, I'll keep an eye out for cool stuff but in the area I'm going to it is pretty much dugouts and machetes. Never saw a chainsaw around there. Only the indians are allowed to cut timber in that area. It seems ironic but lumber is extremely difficult to acquire there in Amazonas.

Haven't seen many in the Harrisburg area.

What time you thru there ?

I'll be hitting Harrisburg in about 20 minutes (13:45)
Used up all my spare time and we're pressing to get to NY to make our meet with the West Point kid. He only has about a one hour window so I have been forbidden to make any additional stops.

I did meet up with Scooterbum in Virginia and mooched a Poulan 2000 off him. He has been doing a major clean out of saws. A lot of what he had was larger older saws and they don't really fit into my plan. I've searched all the Craigslists to this point and nothing to set your hair on fire.

I was using my phone to find pawn shops along my route to VA last week. Since I already have loads of saws I asked if they had any big saws (70 cc's +). Called a dozen before I found a running MS460 Magnum for $130 out the door. Was far better than wasting my time visiting each one in person.

Yeah, you suck! The 460 is on my list. Wanna trade it for a Wild Thing?

I'm glad you're headed out. I am actually in your backyard (Macon) for a couple of days. I have been checking the local CL for a couple of days...you muhsta already cleaned out the deals.

It wasn't me. I haven't even been looking on the Macon CL. I used to get down there from time to time but rarely do anymore.

Well, I'll keep an eye out for cool stuff but in the area I'm going to it is pretty much dugouts and machetes. Never saw a chainsaw around there. Only the indians are allowed to cut timber in that area. It seems ironic but lumber is extremely difficult to acquire there in Amazonas.

That is just wayyy cool!

I could move in there.....take me awhile to get over no internet, but besides that, I am a pleistocene boy. I am only civilized reluctantly...

take pics!

Back from the 2500 mile trip and no scores:(

I searched dozens of CL areas all the way up to the Vermont border and the only interesting items weren't worth deviating off the route for. ie, worthwhile if very close but not worth chasing.

A couple items I probably would've purchased but didn't hear back in time. Oh well.

Packing now for Brazil. This is going to be an adventure for my wife. She's been to the Amazon before but not for this long and not in as remote of a place. I probably won't be on AS at all while I'm gone but will report in when I get back the middle of November. I'll also let ya'll know if there is any jungle left.

Last edited:
Back from the 2500 mile trip and no scores:(

I searched dozens of CL areas all the way up to the Vermont border and the only interesting items weren't worth deviating off the route for. ie, worthwhile if very close but not worth chasing.

A couple items I probably would've purchased but didn't hear back in time. Oh well.

Packing now for Brazil. This is going to be an adventure for my wife. She's been to the Amazon before but not for this long and not in as remote of a place. I probably won't be on AS at all while I'm gone but will report in when I get back the middle of November. I'll also let ya'll know if there is any jungle left.

Best wishes on the safari!!! Stay save, and tell them natives Duh-huh!!

Latest posts

Back