Crying the blues.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. How often do you lose parts during a rebuild? Well it's happened to me and my team. My "team" members are my daughters, 6 and 10. I/we don't know how it happened but we're missing the top end of a Tillitson HS carb off of our McCulloch PM1000/Partner P100. Also, we're missing all of the screws for our Homelite 340 carb that we got from Gary, better known as "Guido Salvage". Gary by the way is a great guy and you should see all of his accumulated collections. Pretty crazy! Does this happen to any of you frequently? We thought that our new pup Luna had gotten the parts but I ran a metal detector over her and she's fine. Interested in hearing more sob stories, and if you have the parts we need, let me know and we can work something out. Enjoy your weekend and take care. Max and girls.:cheers:

Missing parts

Max,

Thanks for the kind words, I have added about 20 more saws since you were here last month. Best thing to do is to forget about those and come get another complete project from me and start all over again.

Gary

:clap:

Max,

Thanks for the kind words, I have added about 20 more saws since you were here last month. Best thing to do is to forget about those and come get another complete project from me and start all over again.

Gary

:clap:

I'd like to get a Lancaster project from you....

Hey Family Tradition, PLEASE be careful with kids in the shop. My 9 year old daughter is about as accident prone as they come. About 8 months ago I went outside to test run a 290 I had just built. My daughter stayed in the shop sitting on a stool in front of my bench. About 20 seconds later I heard the most terrible crash I have ever heard. I walked back in to see a VERY scared little girl without a scratch on her, and a few grand worth of tools scattered around the wreckage of my roll-around toolbox. She had opened a couple of drawers at once. She likes to look at all of the shiny sockets. Good thing that kid knew when to jump, or she likely would have been killed. There are some very pointy and very hard objects in there. We now have a "no kids in the shop" rule set on by her mother.

wow Tim, glad your little one's ok. Max, thats just par for the course for me. 99% of my saw repair/rebuilding is done at work where all the little pieces get cleverly disguised as every other piece of metal in the shop.. That being said, I'm a little jealous of you guys. My girls (soon to be 19 and 17) cringe whne they walk by a saw, nevermind help me out with one.

Lancaster project

I guess you mean this one?

Lancastersaw007.jpg

About a month ago my oldest daughter was walking through the garage and snagged her foot on the chain of that saw. Made a pretty good gash between a couple of her toes. I suspect she would help me get it shipped away from here! :) I have since covered the bar tip with an old glove to prevent a repeat.

I think the biggest issue with me disposing of the saw will be shipping. I think the powerhead weighs about 35 pounds and it has a 25" bar on it.

Drop me a PM and we can talk about it.

wow Tim, glad your little one's ok. Max, thats just par for the course for me. 99% of my saw repair/rebuilding is done at work where all the little pieces get cleverly disguised as every other piece of metal in the shop.. That being said, I'm a little jealous of you guys. My girls (soon to be 19 and 17) cringe whne they walk by a saw, nevermind help me out with one.

Well, that child could get injured in a flat floored rubber room. I tell everyone that she's going to be a safety inspector. If there is an accident, she'll have it. It is sad, though. She likes coming into the shop and helping me scrape crud off the saws. Gives her a chance to chat with me while she focuses on something else. The 3 year old likes fooling around in there too, but she likes playing with the chains. I have to keep the sharp ones put away. Neither one of them stick around long when they see me fueling one up. If I'm doing a compression test, I have to make a point of telling them that I'm not starting it or they'll scatter.
I wouldn't worry about your girls not liking saws, Nik. If the boyfriends they pick don't respect the saws, now you have a problem.

Hey Family Tradition, PLEASE be careful with kids in the shop. My 9 year old daughter is about as accident prone as they come. About 8 months ago I went outside to test run a 290 I had just built. My daughter stayed in the shop sitting on a stool in front of my bench. About 20 seconds later I heard the most terrible crash I have ever heard. I walked back in to see a VERY scared little girl without a scratch on her, and a few grand worth of tools scattered around the wreckage of my roll-around toolbox. She had opened a couple of drawers at once. She likes to look at all of the shiny sockets. Good thing that kid knew when to jump, or she likely would have been killed. There are some very pointy and very hard objects in there. We now have a "no kids in the shop" rule set on by her mother.

Tim, glad your daughters O.K. When my two kids were growing up we also had a rule in the shop or garage, don't touch anything, always ask first. That rule has carried over quite well. Down in Wichita my son yelled at me for going in his tool box without asking first. What goes around, comes around.

His mother complemented him on his quick reaction!

I told him I'll take my MS-250 and XL-12 back, he said Cold day in :censored:,
them are my saws. He's right, he earned both of them.

:dizzy::dizzy:

:cheers:

Hello all. How often do you lose parts during a rebuild? Well it's happened to me and my team. My "team" members are my daughters, 6 and 10. I/we don't know how it happened but we're missing the top end of a Tillitson HS carb off of our McCulloch PM1000/Partner P100. Also, we're missing all of the screws for our Homelite 340 carb that we got from Gary, better known as "Guido Salvage". Gary by the way is a great guy and you should see all of his accumulated collections. Pretty crazy! Does this happen to any of you frequently? We thought that our new pup Luna had gotten the parts but I ran a metal detector over her and she's fine. Interested in hearing more sob stories, and if you have the parts we need, let me know and we can work something out. Enjoy your weekend and take care. Max and girls.:cheers:

I've had a mouse to move parts so keep looking .

My 6 and 10 yr old boys are terrible about this stuff. I can never find what I'm looking for.:dizzy:

My 6 and 10 yr old boys are terrible about this stuff. I can never find what I'm looking for.:dizzy:

Wives can be hard on things also.... they can make all kinds of crap just "go away" in the name of "cleaning up." Sometime they're just uninformed, sometimes they can be passive aggressive about your messy project.. either way, your project doesn't stand a chance. Bottom line, keep your project inside a space that you control.

Wives can be hard on things also.... they can make all kinds of crap just "go away" in the name of "cleaning up." Sometime they're just uninformed, sometimes they can be passive aggressive about your messy project.. either way, your project doesn't stand a chance. Bottom line, keep your project inside a space that you control.

:agree2:

+1....I'm tearing down a project and have verified the parts. GF "cleans up" and now a part that was in mint condition is now broken. :censored: Always seems to be a mystery how it got that way!

Just wait till you see your daughters new necklace.

Gary, it was not me. Nice finds for someone. That SXL looks like it would clean up well. Gotta love the SXL's, as they just plain rock for what they are. I see you're still rolling along on the CAD Train and doing well. Nice finds lately by the way. Max.

Message received. Luckily I have thought about this as I'm in Risk Management, a true "Safety Geek" if you will. They are not allowed in the garage without me. When they are in the garage, they wear eye protection and rubber gloves when needed. In short, they help me clean and turn a wrench or screw driver. They also fetch things. I also have a table (not mine, theirs) in the sun room that we work at as well. It's for "wee people" and they like working there away from the other saws and the car. I'll do whatever it takes to keep them safe, and interested.
Here's the thing. They have come to me and said they want "us" to get back into vintage toys. Tonka, Nylint, Buddy L, and so on. I have a nice collection already, but again, to keep them interested..............

Nik, the one cringing would be my wife. Just last night she and a neighbor came back to the house to get some libation. They went to the garage and Agnes, our neighbor, said I needed an intervention due to all of the saws I have. She's a Doctor, so she knows everything! I love her to death, so I said some choice suggestive pleasantries, and ended it with the famous "whatever". :laugh:

I generally lose the little spring that goes under the lever in the carburetor when I rebuild. By the way, don't ever put the spring in carburetor cleaner! I did that some time ago and made it disappear.

Yes sir, message received. It usually is, but obviously I was outflanked at some point during this incident. Not throwing blame around here, just suggesting. Best, Max.

Back