CS-490 with 400 Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

251lct

Reaction score
What do I need to do to make the CS-400 3/8 lp bar (91PX57CQ} work with my 490? Would I just need a 3/8 lp sprocket? If so, which one? Thanks in advance. I've cut through a couple of wood with the standard 20" bar, but it feels a little lacking. I think the 3/8 16" would be perfect.

Thanks!

Put a 7 point drive rim on the 490. Get a 3/8LowPro chain that is 1 drive link longer than what is needed for the bar. That link is taken up by the extra drive point in the rim.

You need the Oregon 3/8 -7 drive rim. It can be used for both flavors of 3/8.

Using a 16" bar.... if it's a 56 link bar, a 57 link chain is "off the shelf" pretty much everywhere.

Muffler mod it, re-tune it, then cut $h!t up.

Put a 7 point drive rim on the 490. Get a 3/8LowPro chain that is 1 drive link longer than what is needed for the bar. That link is taken up by the extra drive point in the rim.

Muffler mod it, re-tune it, then cut $h!t up.
Thanks! That’s what I was looking for. I did the muffler mod and re-tune months ago. Not enough power with the 20.

I have done the conversion on my 490. If you have the 16 in buried, I noticed a bit of torque loss but the chain speed about evens it out. For limbing and small stuff I love it, definitely improves cut speed.

Back