CSI: Wisconsin - Crushed Saw Investigations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davec

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The victim was cut down (forgive the pun) in his prime. Barely a month old and the victim of a drive-by crushing. His name? MS660.

The crime scene:
End_of_Day_12-28-09Large.jpg

Wow. Lots of suspects to interview...

DNA analysis showed a lot of Orange and White and some suspicious Red Oak traces.

The family provided a background clip of Mr. MS660 in his youth. Clearly he enjoyed his work:

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid226.photobucket.com/albums/dd141/dstig1/Brook_dropping_Oak.flv">

Here is a look at our victim on the table in the morgue:

Crushed2.jpg

Crushed1.jpg

But wait - one of the doctors thinks "he's not dead yet. In fact he's feeling better." Quickly rushed into bionic surgery...I present to you the $6M saw (minus about $5.99970M)
Its_aliveMedium.jpg

Its_alive2Medium.jpg

But it is just a pretty corpse, or does it run? Let's find out with a video of the first startup. You're seeing it like I did... Except I aimed the camera a bit low...:blush:

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid226.photobucket.com/albums/dd141/dstig1/Initialstart.flv">

Yep, it needed some tuning. It was stalling at idle, so I tweaked the low screw a fair bit until it was happy, and then did just a small adjustment (richer) to the high jet. Final video below.
<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid226.photobucket.com/albums/dd141/dstig1/after_some_tuning.flv">

Sound OK to you guys? I had reset the carb during this and I've never tuned a saw before. It was running pretty rich before the crunch, or so the spark plug told me...
attachment.php

The plastic bits on the handle end really took the brunt, but probably helped protect the expensive metal bits on the other end. The crankcase, cylinder, brake, clutch etc all came through fine, except for a small chip in the rib next to the bar oil cap. That was what made this salvageable, IMHO.

CurlyCherry1, Your saw is ready for action! Probably needs a bit more tuning in the woods, but looks like we are good to go!:clap:

-Dave

And it looks like leaving my MS362 in the same room as CC's MS660 allowed some hanky panky overnight. Their new baby:

attachment.php

Yeah, I started taking it apart right away :)

-Dave

Man I hate it when that happens. Good to hear the patient survived surgery. I did that a few years back to my nearly new then 290, 'twas a sickening thing to watch happen. A third of the saw's cost in parts and it was good as new again.

You gotta teach them saws safe sex if you're gonna leave em alone together, if they get much crazier you might find a garage full of wild things!

LoL Did he have health insurance? I hate doctor bills. :)

No I did not have health insurance to cover the patient. And hey Dave, that was not the morgue, that was the triage center. Then we moved her to the ER which was your shop.

Three cheers for Davec for putting her back together for me! Anybody got any rep points to spare, he deserves a few for his efforts. :clap::clap::clap:

Now you two need to fess up, what exactly was the cause of this felonious act?

My stupidity and the use of wedges. Wedges are Satan's spawn! With the wedges the tree was unable to settle back on the bar to tell me I was in trouble and because of the speed of the 660 it cut off the holding wood (my mistake) and the tree went over 90 degrees to the planned drop......right on the saw!

Cost the rebuild:
New: Top shroud, carb cover, total handle assembly trigger parts, carb choke shaft, bar oil caps (2), - $139
New: tank/handle/carb base assembly - $162
Used: air filter base - $25 with shipping (~$47 new)
New : air filter - $39 - WTF is up with that? $39 for an air filter?!?
New: gas cap - $7

Having my new MS660 back in the world of the living - priceless!

Cost the rebuild:
New: Top shroud, carb cover, total handle assembly trigger parts, carb choke shaft, bar oil caps (2), - $139
New: tank/handle/carb base assembly - $162
Used: air filter base - $25 with shipping (~$47 new)
New : air filter - $39 - WTF is up with that? $39 for an air filter?!?
New: gas cap - $7

Having my new MS660 back in the world of the living - priceless!

Methinks you're misrepresenting the true cost. How much beer did you have to buy davec?

Methinks you're misrepresenting the true cost. How much beer did you have to buy davec?

Well, see I kind of owe Mr davec. He spent every weekend plus a few weeks of his vacation during the summer of 2006 working helping me remodel my house. He probably has close to several hundred hours of time spent helping me, so I still owe him, bigtime. He's a pretty handy bugger to have around. :):)

My stupidity and the use of wedges. Wedges are Satan's spawn! With the wedges the tree was unable to settle back on the bar to tell me I was in trouble and because of the speed of the 660 it cut off the holding wood (my mistake) and the tree went over 90 degrees to the planned drop......right on the saw!

What??? You eastern folks crack me up. No one ever checks for side lean....what????

What??? You eastern folks crack me up. No one ever checks for side lean....what????

This was a nasty, and I do mean nasty old oak that had so much crook to the trunk and branches that I could not discern any noticable lean, and I studied it for over 2 hours! I cut everything around it that could be cut and then this thing was standing in the way of progress on other trees. So it had to go. Even my partner in crime Davec could not figure the lean to it. So we took our best guess and were only off by 90 degrees. :cry:

It was so crooked that once it pounded the saw into the ground it bounced quite a ways away. One crook in the trunk about 25' from the base was pushed about 18" into the frozen ground. I had to use blocks cut from the branches and the weight of the top to get the tree to pull its own trunk out of the ground. The dern thing was so crooked I could block part of the top, cut off some of the trunk, and the weight of the top would shift the trunk. It was a nasty bugger, but I dragged my old 051 into the woods and ground that tree into firewood so it will never hurt another saw.

Back