Ct Arborist License

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Pig

A.K.A. Stihl-O-Matic
Reaction score
Any of the Ct guys here have the Ct Arborist License? I just picked up Pirones book and started studying I was wondering what else someone that has taken it would suggest for test prep.

I would take the arboriculture 101 class put on by the CTPA. It is offered in the fall and winter. It will go over everything that is on the CT test and your best study materials.

I would take the arboriculture 101 class put on by the CTPA. It is offered in the fall and winter. It will go over everything that is on the CT test and your best study materials.

Yeah I am thinking about it but schedule is not really conducive with attending the class

Arborculture 101

Stihlomatic,

I took the course this spring and have the notes. I'm in Glastonbury if you want to check them out.

Chris

Save your time/gas and don't bother with the CTPA class. I took it last winter and wish I hadn't. When they tell you at the first class "you won't pass the test the first time you take it" made me wonder why I was taking the class. Call DEP up in Hartford and they will tell ya what you need and you can get study material from them. I won't tell ya how many times I took it and still don't have it. I did miss it by 2 points last time I took it :mad:. Going to spend this winter studying for the test in the spring.

Save your time/gas and don't bother with the CTPA class. I took it last winter and wish I hadn't. When they tell you at the first class "you won't pass the test the first time you take it" made me wonder why I was taking the class. Call DEP up in Hartford and they will tell ya what you need and you can get study material from them. I won't tell ya how many times I took it and still don't have it. I did miss it by 2 points last time I took it :mad:. Going to spend this winter studying for the test in the spring.

My ex girlfriend took that class as well. she pretty much said the same thing yer saying - then threw that core manual at me. She got a 96 if I remember correctly, her first time. She was a pretty smart one though...I suppose thats why shes my ex. lol.

She did fail the tree id walk though, so I walked her thru that part and she passed that the next time, along with the oral part.

i'm skipp,ing the CTPA class.

i'm going to just study and take the test when i have time.shouldn't be that difficult.

i know a lot of guys that took it several times.

i know a few guys who have passed and shouldn't be doing tree work.this renting you license crap out should be stopped ASAP.that is just wrong.not fair to the guys trying to get the license legit.proof the state just wants your money and doesn't give a hoot about the trees.

i'm going to just study and take the test when i have time.shouldn't be that difficult.

i know a lot of guys that took it several times.

i know a few guys who have passed and shouldn't be doing tree work.this renting you license crap out should be stopped ASAP.that is just wrong.not fair to the guys trying to get the license legit.proof the state just wants your money and doesn't give a hoot about the trees.

:cry:. :)

Well the major study material is Pirones Tree Maintenance (I have) The core manual I am ordering and then mainly ANSI crap and a Tree ID book. So now that we are all here lets plan a Ct get together. Fishercat your in charge.

Not really sure if its legal, but it seems to satisfy the competition (working under the ex's licence that is) and the DEP.

Not really relevant sinse it runs out in january due to lack of ceu's anyway.

Besides mds answers to the tree gods anyway. ;)

But yeah, I gotta get studying.

when was that published like 1980?

And they recommend ANSI and not the ISA BMP's? weird.

rent out? like trading carbon credits?

7th edition pub 2000.

this is the rest of the material

Douglas, Sharon M. 2003. Disease Management Guide for Connecticut Arborists , Department of Plant Pathology and Ecology, The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, New Haven, Connecticut.

Welch, Kenneth and T. M. Abbey. 2002. Pesticide Guide Toward Integrated Pest Management for Connecticut Arborists, Department of Entomology, The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, New Haven Connecticut.

The above two booklets are updated biannually and are distributed through a cooperative agreement with the Connecticut Tree Protective Association (CTPA). They may be purchased by contacting CTPA at 58 Old Post Road, PO Box 356, Northford, Connecticut 06472-0356, phone: (203) 484-2512 or (888) 919-2872 www.CTPA.org

ANSI Z133.1 American National Standard for Arboricultural Operations-Pruning, Repairing, Maintaining, and Removing Trees, and Cutting Brush-Safety Requirements Revision 2001, American National Standards Institute, New York, NY. **

ANSI A300 Part 1, Tree Care Operations- Tree, Shrub, and Other Woody Plant Maintenance-Standard Practices Revision 2001,American National Standards Institute, New York, NY. **

ANSI A300 Part 2, Tree Care Operations-Tree, Shrub, and Other Woody Plant Maintenance-Standard Practices (Fertilization) Revision 1998, American National Standards Institute, New York, NY. **

ANSI A300 Part 3, Tree Care Operations-Tree, Shrub, and Other Woody Plant Maintenance-Standard Practices (Support Systems, Cabling, Bracing, and Guying), Revision 2000, American National Standards Institute, New York, NY.**

ANSI A300 Part 4, Lightning Protection Systems, 2002, American National Standards Institute, New York, NY.**

** The ANSI standards are available from Global Engineering Documents, Customer Service Department, 15 Inverness Way East, Englewood, CO 80112, phone: (800) 854-7179, www.global.ihs.com Note that companion simple language guides are available from the International Society of Arborists (ISA); see contact information below.

Hartman, John Richard et al. 2000. Pirone’s Tree Maintenance, 7th edition, Oxford University Press, New York, NY 10016. ISBN : 0195119916. (The updated edition of Pirone’s standard text on arboriculture.)

Shigo, Alex L., Tree Basics, 1996, Shigo & Trees, Associates, P.O. Box 769, Durham NH 03824-0769. ISBN: 094356316X.

Do NOT get ANSI standards from IHS Global--they are double what ISA charges (and who says ISA is a cash-grab outfit?)

$34 per plus $17 shipping! I can sell the ISA BMP's for $8 each; Sherrill's are $7 each, shipping extra.

Do NOT get ANSI standards from IHS Global--they are double what ISA charges (and who says ISA is a cash-grab outfit?)

$34 per plus $17 shipping! I can sell the ISA BMP's for $8 each; Sherrill's are $7 each, shipping extra.

Thanks for the replies all.

Latest posts

Back