Ct Arborist License

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's enforced to a point. Depends on the town, and so forth. I've heard of guys getting turned in. I know of guys who should be turned in, but aren't. I mean if somebody gets turned in, the DEP says to them you have 3 options... 1. give us your arborist license # and we'll leave you alone, 2. pay $1,000 and sign something saying that you know you did wrong and will either not do it again, or will get the license. 3. fight it, and the $1,000 fine turns into a $25,000 fine + court costs and all of that jazz. I was ready to turn in 1 guy this spring, but couldn't bring myself to do that to the guy. In the end somebody else turned him in. The DEP isn't going to run around looking at people's trucks and work... but they are supposed to follow up to complaints which are filed against companies doing work illegally.

I spoke with Dr. Douglas a few weeks ago at a seminar and stated that I would be a lot more inclined to turn people in if the DEP utilized an electronic filing system. As is you have to print up a form, fill it out, and then mail it into the DEP or CTPA. If I could simply go to a website, punch in some information and click "submit" I'd be turning them in during my lunch break for fun.

As far as how the law is written goes, yes anything other than removals and grinding requires a license. I asked Dr. Douglas about consults... she said that if you put anything on paper other than "cut down 1 tree, $1000..." you would be breaking the law. So it would be in the best interest of one who is not licensed to recommend nothing but removals.

Now as far as the test and class go... my education is geared more towards the ISA test, and IPM. The first time I took the written part I failed. The second time I took the test I passed. Basically I loosened up my brain. Somebody else told me "Don't overthink it." I said "Don't think about what the right answer is, but instead think about what answer THEY want." If you can do that, then you shouldn't have any problems. As far as the ID and oral goes... for the ID you should definately walk the property in New Haven before hand, and hope for a day with crappy weather. Apparently if it's bad weather they will simply say "What is that tree?" X20. So if you know that it's a flowering dogwood you'll pass, if you don't then you're screwed. I will say this, they have some trees on that property that you RARELY see in the course of regular work. The oral isn't terrible either, just relax, and if you know you're stuff you'll pass.. if you don't know what you are talking about you will fail. They WILL help you to get the right answers out if you are close, but I heard that they will also help you to hang yourself if you don't know it.

yes it's true.

Let me see if I got this right.
In Ct you don't have to have a license if you only do takedowns but if you trim a tree you need to have a license? Is this enforced?

this is Connecticut.Logic is not common here.don't look to hard for it,you'll get a screaming headache.

it is enforced to a point.usually when a jealous or rival tree company snitches on a competitor.

Let me see if I got this right.
In Ct you don't have to have a license if you only do takedowns but if you trim a tree you need to have a license? Is this enforced?

Yep. You can get out of prison for smuggling drugs, buy a crane with the proceeds (and everything else you could possibly dream of. new, of course!), read about cutting trees on the internet, put a climber on the hook (without needing a licence to run the crane either) and go to work. Just like that.

But no pruning without a licence, not even a limb.

Gotta love CT.

Yep. You can get out of prison for smuggling drugs, buy a crane with the proceeds (and everything else you could possibly dream of. new, of course!), read about cutting trees on the internet, put a climber on the hook (without needing a licence to run the crane either) and go to work. Just like that.

But no pruning without a licence, not even a limb.

Gotta love CT.

Thats the reason they need to develop different licenses, like one for master arborist (encompasses all aspects), one for climbing arborist (pruning,cabling,bracing) and one for people who are interested in pest control and fertilization but not anything else.

Seems simple to me. A lot more people would be licensed, state gets more money we are all happy. I have no interest in fertilization but have to learn all this crap to get a damn license.

Thats the reason they need to develop different licenses, like one for master arborist (encompasses all aspects), one for climbing arborist (pruning,cabling,bracing) and one for people who are interested in pest control and fertilization but not anything else.

Seems simple to me. A lot more people would be licensed, state gets more money we are all happy. I have no interest in fertilization but have to learn all this crap to get a damn license.

I hear you there. I'm sorta interested in all of it though (some things more than others of course). This tree thing is all I done for a living the last 20 yrs - I'm sorta commited. The legwork sucks though, I agree.

My ex was Nofa accredited as well as the arb licence. We looked into compost tea brewers and all that for a while. That even interested me to a point...pretty neat stuff actually. I would actually like to know how to do all that someday - even if I didnt make a fortune on it right off.

Again, I'm at that point where I realize if your just a takedown guy, your really only ever gonna be small time. no offence to anyone, just an observation based on my years at this gig.

Maryland is the same way. Doesn't make any sense at all. Why not have 1 license for pruning and removals?

I hear you there. I'm sorta interested in all of it though (some things more than others of course). This tree thing is all I done for a living the last 20 yrs - I'm sorta commited. The legwork sucks though, I agree.

My ex was Nofa accredited as well as the arb licence. We looked into compost tea brewers and all that for a while. That even interested me to a point...pretty neat stuff actually. I would actually like to know how to do all that someday - even if I didnt make a fortune on it right off.

Again, I'm at that point where I realize if your just a takedown guy, your really only ever gonna be small time. no offence to anyone, just an observation based on my years at this gig.

I am not really concerned about getting huge, but I do know that I turn work that involves pruning and cabling only. Have I ever pruned a tree for someone I was doing a removal for? well of course not... but I am pretty sure being able to legal bid on and get business doing pruning and cabling even just small jobs is going to bring in more business in the long run. I would be interested in being able to diagnose and recommend treatment for all aspects of tree care. I am just not real interested in the chemical part. Maybe some organic treatments or less invasive or hazardous chemicals.

Maryland is the same way. Doesn't make any sense at all. Why not have 1 license for pruning and removals?

Exactly I agree with you. But to be the devils advocate maybe their thinking if they make you learn a little more about everything you can treat the problem instead of just cutting and leaving. If that be the case I guess they have a point.

I'm not really interested in getting huge either. I just want to be a better treeguy. Its what I do. I've got the takedown thing down pretty good - to the point where theres really not much stressing about any of the trees around here, i.e., crane work, climbing/bucket, some exp. with the grcs. So where next?? wood boring weevils I guess.

No pain, no gain! right ossifer?? :)

hi yall,
i recently passed the ct arborist written exam with a 84 on safety and 76 on arborist section and studying for the oral/plant id right now.
i am posting to help people as i came here for extra information on the ct arborist license
-safety portion. pretty straight foward. understand the pertinant pesticide statues and regulations found under ctpa.org. there 5-6 questions on that such as: how many unlicensed operators are allowed to work under a supervisory applicator. understand the duties of a superivsory arborist such as record keeping, written instructions, etc.. know how to properly start a chainsaw, (chainsaws weighing 15lbs or more must have a seperate line to hold them in a tree), etc.. in my test i was given an example pesticide lable and was asked questions on the label. i was asked what a neonoticide was so know the different types of traditional pesticides such as organophospahtes and carbomates and know biorational pesticides such as bacillus thuringensis. also on the safety portion what info you have to give to a customer and so on... know cabling requirements! i was asked several questions on lightning, bracing, and props
-arborist portion you have to know all the biology of a tree. such as the four different functions of a root system, understand respiration, transpiration. i was given a picture of a cut tree trunk and i had to label it starting from the inside out (heartwood, spring wood, phloem, cambium, xylem, corck cambium). know all of the insects and diseases thouroughly and the types of plants they commonly attack. also knowing the treatments is a must. example is i was asked when and how to treat oak leaf blister and the answer was a protectant fungicide chlorathonil at bud break. also a couple questions on there was was: a strong root flare on one side of tree and on the otherside of the tree there is no flare is a sign of: i said girdling root. hope this helps. know what sevin pesticide is. the treatment and signs of fire blight, scab etc..

hi yall,
i recently passed the ct arborist written exam with a 84 on safety and 76 on arborist section and studying for the oral/plant id right now.
i am posting to help people as i came here for extra information on the ct arborist license
-safety portion. pretty straight foward. understand the pertinant pesticide statues and regulations found under ctpa.org. there 5-6 questions on that such as: how many unlicensed operators are allowed to work under a supervisory applicator. understand the duties of a superivsory arborist such as record keeping, written instructions, etc.. know how to properly start a chainsaw, (chainsaws weighing 15lbs or more must have a seperate line to hold them in a tree), etc.. in my test i was given an example pesticide lable and was asked questions on the label. i was asked what a neonoticide was so know the different types of traditional pesticides such as organophospahtes and carbomates and know biorational pesticides such as bacillus thuringensis. also on the safety portion what info you have to give to a customer and so on... know cabling requirements! i was asked several questions on lightning, bracing, and props
-arborist portion you have to know all the biology of a tree. such as the four different functions of a root system, understand respiration, transpiration. i was given a picture of a cut tree trunk and i had to label it starting from the inside out (heartwood, spring wood, phloem, cambium, xylem, corck cambium). know all of the insects and diseases thouroughly and the types of plants they commonly attack. also knowing the treatments is a must. example is i was asked when and how to treat oak leaf blister and the answer was a protectant fungicide chlorathonil at bud break. also a couple questions on there was was: a strong root flare on one side of tree and on the otherside of the tree there is no flare is a sign of: i said girdling root. hope this helps. know what sevin pesticide is. the treatment and signs of fire blight, scab etc..
Joey,
I'm currently studying to take the CT Arborist Test, any additional information you can provide would certainly be helpful. I've been learning for about 3 years now and I want to get licensed and make a career out of this. I have been offered a job as a utility arborist, I don't see myself breaking into this industry any other way without having to drag brush and work 60 hours a week at minimal pay.
Thanks
Brad

Latest posts

Back