CT Fiewood Permits Deadline

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in CT. but I have never heard of this before, I think I may fill out an app. Have you done it? How does it work, do you have input on which trees you get or will I be stuck with poor wood?

How does it work, do you have input on which trees you get or will I be stuck with poor wood?

The lots I've seen the state forester staples up the permit # and marks the trees to be taken with blue paint. The wood was fine, the trees tended to be small or crooked since you're thinning out trees to improve the standing timber quality.

I just filled out the form and sent it out this morning.

This year will be my year to get a permit, last 2 years, no permit for me -- which meant spending more time with the old lady :givebeer:

I live in CT. but I have never heard of this before, I think I may fill out an app. Have you done it? How does it work, do you have input on which trees you get or will I be stuck with poor wood?

Forrest Gump's "Box of Chocolates"

You don't know what you'll get. Last year my permit was for clearing tops and cull trees in Shenipsit. Really nice big pignut hickory, red oak and white oak tops from a timber harvest, and some really nice size 6 to 12 inch diameter black birch cull trees. Others I know across the state got a lot of maple and birch poles where 8 inch diameter was the big end. The forester should let you look at the lot prior to plunking down any cash. That said if you turn it down, they move on down the list and you're done until selected in a following year's lottery.

To be truthful the wood isn't usually the issue, it's having to share a lot and stay alive with a bunch of 2 cord a year lumberjacks that haven't got a clue running around.

Take Care

i had a permit a couple years ago. i think i saw one other guy there in the woods with me. i really had to work to get the wood to the log road. i dunno if everything was just waaaay off the road or of my site just got picked clean before i got to it. i dont think i got my 2 cords worth but i wasnt far off it.

Back