CT GTG?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got another cord of white oak today. Lol!
4cd7ef6e34cc766038dc542ab3ee61f5.jpg

Anyone have a ported chop saw?
It'll make for some good bonfire wood!

I've been to a few GTG's and always come home having made new friends and something I learned about that I had no idea was even important. It's worth the tolls, time and effort to get to them. Some of the nicest people in the world are passionate about chainsaws...

While everyone loves to "run" saws at GTG's....I for one would love to watch a few guys sharpen chain before hand. You sure can learn a lot from watching a Pro sharpen his chains ...

I'd like to watch someone "degree" a crank too...all that porting stuff baffles us civilians.

I remember somebody had 290 rebuild races...where the fastest "built" ms290 won a prize...that's a cool contest.

Then paragon builder can tell me what I could have done better :)
Lol! That's funny!
I have yet to grind on a cylinder. I want to! And I will! But you would be teaching me...
The most I have done is muffler mods and gasket deletes/ set squish.
Maybe one day the builder in my name will refer to chainsaws, [emoji2] but for now it refers to structures.

Can anyone bring a grinder to make square ground from round chisel? My local shops/dealer only does round. Or even just bring some loops of square and round in the same size to do side by side comparisons. I'd like to see how these do in person in hardwood.

Can anyone bring a grinder to make square ground? My local shops/dealer only does round. Or even just bring some loops of square and round I the same size to do side by side comparisons. I want to see how these do in person in hardwood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If mustang mike comes, I think he uses square ground chains.
I'd like to experience the difference myself.

Attending, is still pending,

based upon work load as stated. However, if I can make it, if anyone is interested I can try to get the Stihl rep's demo MS661 that weekend.

If I have time to fool with some chains I may be able to bring some PS square filed on the MS 241. I haven't dialed that one in yet but am making progress. Things are really tight in there so any real improvement over stock PS is fleeting to say the least. As to new in package RS and RSLK i almost always have 3/8, .o5o, 72 dl around.

Take Care

I will have square file chain on all my saws, and I can show how I sharpen it if anyone is interested. However, I don't have a grinder for square, I do it all by hand, so converting from one to the other would be too labor intensive.

Also, I would advise anyone just learning to buy a loop of square, so you can see what it is supposed to look like. It also helps to enable your file to "fall into place". I use, and am happy with, the PFRED 3 square files, but other members prefer other files. They look almost the same as round files, and give you 3 sets of sharpening angles instead of two, which should help them last longer.

Basically, I learned how to do it from the Madsen's Chainsaw website, and from other members on here, like Brian who posted a video of his sharpening of square file.

I also found this to be very helpful in understanding the angles and what needed to be done:

http://www.madsens1.com/bnc_cb_angles.htm

IMO, the two most important things with square are keeping the corner lined up, and the side plate (they cut the grain). Also, do not reduce the angle of the top plate too much, or the chain will not feed well (the top plate functions mostly as a chisel anyway, so the angle does not have to be that steep).

I will have square file chain on all my saws, and I can show how I sharpen it if anyone is interested. However, I don't have a grinder for square, I do it all by hand, so converting from one to the other would be too labor intensive.
That's great news for me! I don't use a grinder, I hand sharpen all my chains, so I'd really be interested in learning that skill.

Also, I would advise anyone just learning to buy a loop of square, so you can see what it is supposed to look like. It also helps to enable your file to "fall into place". I use, and am happy with, the PFRED 3 square files, but other members prefer other files. They look almost the same as round files, and give you 3 sets of sharpening angles instead of two, which should help them last longer.
I won a half box of NOS Oberg square files on eBay a few months ago. But I haven't used any of them yet because as you mention it's too labor intensive to convert round to square. I haven't invested in square chains yet either but maybe starting with a loop is the best way to learn to maintain one. I'll look into the PFRED 3 also.

Basically, I learned how to do it from the Madsen's Chainsaw website, and from other members on here, like Brian who posted a video of his sharpening of square file.

I also found this to be very helpful in understanding the angles and what needed to be done:

http://www.madsens1.com/bnc_cb_angles.htm

IMO, the two most important things with square are keeping the corner lined up, and the side plate (they cut the grain). Also, do not reduce the angle of the top plate too much, or the chain will not feed well (the top plate functions mostly as a chisel anyway, so the angle does not have to be that steep).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back