Custom bar rail grinder thoughts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vertical belt sander is the best. Perfect 90 degrees.

Dress the bar with a fine draw file later , sander leaves 90 degree marks depending on grit used.

Check your groove for width and depth. Never had to trash a Stihl ES bar R + R this way. Some of those bars were free, and fugly!!!

A used vertical belt sander, comes up on CL often , for less than other purpose tools and is more useful.

best thing I have seen is the edge dresser on a Ski/snowboard grinder. you can adjust in 1/2deg increments for the edge grinder...just set it at 90 deg and off you go. as it has liquid cooling pumps that put collant on the item being ground you do not have to worry about overheating the bar either.

The Baileys unit shown on the previous page has a 2 pole motor, actual speed around 3450 RPM. 1800 RPM would be too slow for that small diameter grinding wheel.

I ended up modifying mine to accept a slightly larger grinding wheel as the Molab wheels available through Baileys are not very useful.

IMAG1430.jpg

Mark

It depends on how many bars you plan on squaring up? My budget or profit doing firewood kept me shopping smart but wanting something that worked that was affordable.

Ask yourself, do I need it?
Is it cost effective?
How much is the cost?
How much will it sit idle?

Besides the husky pro saws I couldn’t just go out and buy anything.

Latest posts

Back