Custom made rigging gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Customcuts

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently custom made a new rigging device and I'm dying to go and try it out. Im just curious if there is anything else outthere that you guys either made yourself or had made. My next project it some rigging plates and a 3/4" rigging block. I know a bunch of people say to just buy one, but I work in a fab shop when not doing tree work so its just a waste of money for me to buy stuff I can make. Plus this way I won't have the same stuff everyone else has. Not to mention ALOT of this rigging gear is mass produced in China so I like keeping money here in the states and buy my materials from local companies.[video=youtube;3fAisyg1RyM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fAisyg1RyM&feature=plcp[/video]

Sweet! Have you considered contouring the base so it sits snug against the tree. Nice job regardless.

Sweet! Have you considered contouring the base so it sits snug against the tree. Nice job regardless.

Thanks, I've actually considered putting some rods on the back about 2" in from the edge going vertical so that it will be more trunk friendly and provide some contour...

I wonder how you could find the WLL of it, without having to sacrifice it of course.

I wonder how you could find the WLL of it, without having to sacrifice it of course.

Well, the strap has a 5400lb wll and I know the actual device can wstand more than that so I think its ok to go off of.. I got a buddy in GA. who has been using it for some really big pieces. I'll post the video after I get it all put together ..

With fabricating skills as good as the ones you obviously have, I think you would be crazy NOT too have made one.
Nice job on a great piece of gear. Rubber on the back of the base might help a bit, but either way, great job.

Thanks guys....

Here is a short video of it in use......[video=youtube;7Us7xXj2XuQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Us7xXj2XuQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Nice job!

Fabbing one's own stuff is the way to go - assuming you have the means (materials, skills and tools) which apparently you have. Those are some great looking welds. Did you cut the plate with a waterjet? I am thinking of making a lowering device myself. The idea of just cloning a port-a-wrap (although it would be sufficient for my needs seems a bit chicken$h!t. Part of me wants to make something with dual drums - but I too old and out of shape to kid myself into thinking the lowering device will be the slow point. I also don't anticipate ever needing something that would require using both on one piece. One more question - did you powder coat it? I have been going back and forth between using carbon steel and SS. Carbon steel is a lot easier (read "cheaper and quicker") to come by than SS.

Back