Customer wanted firepit wood delivered 60miles one way....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I normally only charge $70 for a load:
Firewood - Split/Seasoned
That includes delivery up to 10 miles. Well I really didn't want to spend two hours driving but told the guy I would do it for $100.
He came back with meeting half way so I said $85. So I met him half way and first thing I notice was he's driving a Ford ranger.
I've got my F150 loaded even fuller than the pic in my craigsllist add and needless to day we could only get half my load into that ranger. He was still happy as all get out and paid the full $85 and I took half a load home. Said he would be a regular customer from now on...:D

Balance of the load went across the street to a good neighbor - no charge.

Last edited:
Sure am glad your in SOUTHERN Mn! lol I get more than that for a pickup load if they pick it up at my place!!

Ted

Yea I would sell premium wood for more or just keep it for personal use. There is plenty of siberian elm and box elder in there, along with some green ash and cherry. Also it's tough to move this time of year and I've got some I need gone wth in a month.

That's pretty good if you are cool driving all that way, even half way. Figure wear and tear and operating expenses on a decent truck at..what, half a buck a mile?

No idea what modern bucks are for that, just know decades ago I got a quarter wear and tear mileage deduction for just a salesman's car.

zogger, I figured out the mileage costs associated with my 2003 VW Jetta that included everything for 100,000 miles. In today's fuel prices (it's a diesel) that figured out to be $0.55/mile. That was tires, insurance, and all maintenance including the 100K maintenance. Took stealership labor rate and cut it in half and my price on parts.

zogger, I figured out the mileage costs associated with my 2003 VW Jetta that included everything for 100,000 miles. In today's fuel prices (it's a diesel) that figured out to be $0.55/mile. That was tires, insurance, and all maintenance including the 100K maintenance. Took stealership labor rate and cut it in half and my price on parts.

Wow! And those are cheap to run, too.

So I would imagine with pickups you would have to make at least a buck a mile to come close to breaking even.

Wow! And those are cheap to run, too.

So I would imagine with pickups you would have to make at least a buck a mile to come close to breaking even.

The mileage allowance on just a private car used for gov't business (corrrections officer, traveling to training for example) is...in the 40s back when. Dunno what it is now but there is an official rate out there somewhere....ah! There is:

-----------------------------

If use of privately owned automobile is authorized or if no Government owned automobile is available: April 17, 2012, $0.555

Motorcycle April 17, 2012 $0.525
-------------------------

Harry K

+1 on that! I figure operating cost on my 7tonne truck to be $1/km ($1.60/mile). FWIW, it's fairly economical to run, it's fueled by propane which is less than half the cost of gasoline in aus. Add in all the rest - tyres, maintenance, insurance, registration etc and you're pretty close to $20k/year. Small to medium cars are all in at around $10k/year here in aus for fairly small mileage.

Shaun

I would take a load and I have a full size truck and I would meet you have ways :)

The mileage allowance on just a private car used for gov't business (corrrections officer, traveling to training for example) is...in the 40s back when. Dunno what it is now but there is an official rate out there somewhere....ah! There is:

-----------------------------

From: Privately Owned Vehicle (POV) Mileage Reimbursement Rates

If use of privately owned automobile is authorized or if no Government owned automobile is available: April 17, 2012, $0.555

Motorcyclye April 17, 2012 $0.525

-------------------------

Harry K

My wife does home health. The company she works for will only pay $0.27 per mile if you use your personal car, it sucks. They have lease cars but you have to pay the lease $350 a month and $0.55 cents a mile for personal use, sucks worse.

Funny their car is worth 55 cents but ours is only worth 27 cents.

gg

I believe the federal tax deduction on eligible claims is $0.51/mile.... I'm almost sure it was that two years ago.... Maybe a few cents more now.

I believe the federal tax deduction on eligible claims is $0.51/mile.... I'm almost sure it was that two years ago.... Maybe a few cents more now.

Yes it was $0.55 her company was paying that rate but they said it cost them too much for mileage. Go figure when your business is home health. They switched to a forced lease program or $.027 cents with personal car.

Yes we can write it off on our taxes but it is minimal vs if they were actually paying us the rate. It is a deduction. So we get our tax rate x the expense.

gg

Latest posts

Back