Cut a big oak sat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brisawyer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Cut this in a buddys yard. Used my j red 910 w the 28 and my other buddy had his 394 and 36". Log was oblong 55"x48" 20' to the first limbs.
attachment.php
[/IMG][/IMG It is way too hot to cut big wood.

Looks like it is noodling time

I havn't a clue as to what those chuncks might way but unless you guys have some heavy equipment , let the noodling begin:chainsaw::clap:

Beefie

weve had a beautiful summer here--just absolutely wonderful temps and humidity--UNTIL saturday--damn!!!!! weather like that, is meant only for resting--with a cool one--no work!!!!

Too bad you can't sign-out that jaws of life kit I believe you fire fighters have. That one that splits cars open...?

The one my son-in law showed me looks like it would easily split them rounds. I wish I had the money the govt. does....

You gonna burn that in 2011?

Noodling begins Monday. They weigh 1150 each

1150 ? seems heavy . ..weight wise that would be a 1/4 cord per round ?

It sure is a nice pile of Oak . I have 3 muscle bound teenage sons who wrestle all my big rounds into the trailer .
MD

I have been nibbling away at the oak when time permits. I had all day today to work on it. First thing I did is bust up my knuckles. Thats ok a quick trip to my firehouse 4 blocks away fixed the bleeding. Back to work splitting a nasty crotch and pow ripped the wedge off the splitter. I gave up for the day and started the labor day drinking early.

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachm...nt.php?attachmentid=108101&stc=1&d=1265303474

I have been nibbling away at the oak when time permits. I had all day today to work on it. First thing I did is bust up my knuckles. Thats ok a quick trip to my firehouse 4 blocks away fixed the bleeding. Back to work splitting a nasty crotch and pow ripped the wedge off the splitter. I gave up for the day and started the labor day drinking early.

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachm...nt.php?attachmentid=108101&stc=1&d=1265303474

:bang: you try and destroy yourself often?????:biggrinbounce2: have pinched fingers, cut one tip off, and was sewed back on, numerous cuts---dang, i been there also:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Very nice rounds you got there. Should make some great wood for you in '11. :rockn:

Rather than 'noodling'...

JEEZUS those rounds are big..

I've never worked with rounds THAT big but I've done my share of large maple rounds (much lighter) I'm always getting my wood onsey-twosey so I try to maximize the amount of firewood I get from each round.

Is there any use to going more old school and using a splitting wedge (or two) and an 8lb sledge? I would think that breaking up big rounds that size might be quicker time-wise with a wedge & sledge vs running your saw through...

Just a thought for the group. Comments? Anecdotes? Bueller? Bueller?

TB

Thats a monster there done one tuesday 45 in. by 16 ft just a little over 2 cords

had 11 man hrs. in it, cut split moved and piled

Last edited:
I have been using wedges on the straight ones to get them in half. After they are in half they are easy work with the maul. I split around the knotty pieces the use the hyd splitter on them. It was a nasty crotch that popped the wedge off. I thought it was the wood creaking and popping but it was my welds ripping. Oh well I wanted to redo the tongue and add a jack anyway.

Olyman it seems I do attempt to destroy myself sometimes. My last big boo boo was sep 7 2004. I tangled with a 48" circle saw at the mill. lhttp://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=108111&stc=1&d=1265316839

Nice load of firewood in that log.

Kind of looks like the penetration wasn't up to par on the wedge side of the weld.

Anyways, like you say, it was time to take some time. You have plenty of time to get the wood.

Latest posts

Back