Cut Through my Chaps - Next Set?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Summer Grade Chaps

Wet1:

Heck, right now I want 12 ply, but likely here in August when it is 98F I will feel differently. Would you suggest the "summer" grade as the 6 ply full wrap or something else?

Jim

Testing chaps

When I was a crew leader for the state (quite a few years ago), we did alot of cutting during the winter months and had a couple pairs for chaps that did their job and stopped the saw and prevented injury.

We then used those chaps as examples and in demos with saw going wide open and the chaps always stopped the chain NOW. Of course we didn't have huge saws. A Stihl 036 was probably the largest saw we used at the time.

Again, I was surprised to here that the saw could even get through the chaps.

Those demos of already compromised chaps made me a believer and I always wear them. I find that they actually make my pants under neither the chaps last much long too.

Sorry to hear your story but hopefully it is a good reminder to us all.

Sorry to here about the injury. Glad it wasn't worst. Looks like it should heal well if you keep it clean. By the way did you happen to get any pics of chaps you cut. Would be interested in seeing them. Good luck with the cut. :givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

Wet1:

Heck, right now I want 12 ply, but likely here in August when it is 98F I will feel differently. Would you suggest the "summer" grade as the 6 ply full wrap or something else?

Jim

You probably want a set of iron pants right now. Glad the damage was not worse. Your injury will serve as a reminder to others about what can happen. I have the Labonville 6-ply full wrap chaps (in green :)). They are very well constructed but they are warm. I am planning on buying a set of the summer pants here soon. They are much cooler than chaps.

http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=14&idproduct=22

Labonville is a good company to do business with. Great customer service.

Wet1:

Jim

I hear you, but a man can only work for so long when it's 85°+ while wearing pants that are 3/4" thick! I'd suggest the 6 ply chaps for the summer (possibly with shorts underneath if that would work for you), but I have not tried the chainsaw pants either. All I know is the 10 ply are HOT in the summer!

BTW, glad to hear the injury wasn't any worse. Just remember, chicks dig scars! ;)

"Anyhow, I cut through my chaps and my carharts, I had a pair of the Kevlar four plys "

PLUS the 6 plys of hair :eek: Imagine if you're heritage was American Indian instead of Big Foot :ices_rofl: Just kidding, but I am surprised you didn't flip over when your hair got twisted in the chain. Glad to know the chaps helped and as already mentioned, a good example of why all of us should wear our protective gear ALL the time.

Thanks for sharing.

Iron Pants

I looked at the iron pants, they are out of stock right now, I will check when I order to see the time frame on availability. I like the design of the pants and they list a decent spec on safety as well.

Jim

Jfitz, thanks for sharing your boo-boo. It makes us think and be more careful.

Glad it was just a nick.

What kind of saw were you running ?

Did your 4-ply chaps jam up the saw as intended ? Do you think the chaps at least reduced the extent of the injury ?

Just asking because sometimes dirty, oily chaps don't work properly.

By the way, I'm still partially disabled from the chapless injury that I posted here last fall. I don't know if I will ever regain full use of my knee. I can walk OK, but have difficulty squatting, or climbing stairs, ladders, and hills. Flesh heals, but muscle and joints may not.

I made several mistakes -- no chaps, saw too heavy for limbing, and not taking a rest when I was tuckered out.

That reminds me, I need to order some kevlar boots or kevlar booties. Yep, safety gear is hot and uncomfortable in the summer. Beats being disabled for the rest of your life, though.

Re

Jfitz, thanks for sharing your boo-boo. It makes us think and be more careful.

Glad it was just a nick.

What kind of saw were you running ?

Did your 4-ply chaps jam up the saw as intended ? Do you think the chaps at least reduced the extent of the injury ?

Just asking because sometimes dirty, oily chaps don't work properly.

By the way, I'm still partially disabled from the chapless injury that I posted here last fall. I don't know if I will ever regain full use of my knee. I can walk OK, but have difficulty squatting, or climbing stairs, ladders, and hills. Flesh heals, but muscle and joints may not.

I made several mistakes -- no chaps, saw too heavy for limbing, and not taking a rest when I was tuckered out.

That reminds me, I need to order some kevlar boots or kevlar booties. Yep, safety gear is hot and uncomfortable in the summer. Beats being disabled for the rest of your life, though.

Mtngun,
I was running my 361. W/O the chaps and overalls I think I would have likely cut my leg partially off, really do not want to go there. The chain did bind but the shear load was sufficiently translated to the skin and tear it through. The chaps were clean, dry. My compound motion of bending to avoid the tree with the running saw really caused the perfect cut into the chaps so to speak. I have full use of the leg right now, full bending, walking etc... and it is healing well. Maybe I should update the photos as we go here? I would like to order some of the boots but my feet are fairly hard to fit, so usually it is local stores only.

Jim

While I do have a pair of chainsaw boots, if you're on a budget, I'd think a good pair of steel toe leather work boots would go a long way toward protecting your feet in a high % of foot accidents... at least with my feet anyway. :hmm3grin2orange:

Had a mishap in the woods Saturday.

View attachment 91909

View attachment 91910

View attachment 91911

Snag came down on me while cutting another and I moved the wrong way (bent over) with the saw running, not too swift, clear snags first... Anyhow, I cut through my chaps and my carharts, I had a pair of the Kevlar four plys (at least I took your advice and had all the gear on).
http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=1641

A trip to the ER and back to fire calls but no cutting until new chaps. I am thinking of Labonville for the next set. Advice appreciated.

- http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=14&idproduct=406

Jim

Jim

Glad to hear about your mishap and the cut in your leg.

Why? Because it is you telling us and not your wife posting on your behalf while you were laid up in IC or worse.

Thanks for the thread - it certainly serves as a reminder for me and I sure am glad that you came out relatively unscathed (all things considered).

:cheers:

Mtngun,
I was running my 361. W/O the chaps and overalls I think I would have likely cut my leg partially off, really do not want to go there. The chain did bind but the shear load was sufficiently translated to the skin and tear it through. The chaps were clean, dry. My compound motion of bending to avoid the tree with the running saw really caused the perfect cut into the chaps so to speak. I have full use of the leg right now, full bending, walking etc... and it is healing well. Maybe I should update the photos as we go here? I would like to order some of the boots but my feet are fairly hard to fit, so usually it is local stores only.

Jim
I hear ya ordering boot's by email is a gamble,I have feet like Side Show Bob:hmm3grin2orange:
I think I better replace my old Chaps they are oil stained, really soaked and at least 10 years old,with some duct tape covering rips not from the saw but branches all the stuffing still in them. I don't know how many ply they are.

I wonder how many sales Labonville will get out of this little post ?
OR, putting it another way.
How many cumulative hours-days-months of misery were are saving members and lurkers.

Well, I just ordered a set of full-wrap from Labonville. I think Labonville should send Jfitz a free set for all the chaps he just sold for them!!!
Get well, there's more wood out there to cut.....:cheers:

Ordered My New Set of Chaps

Well, I just ordered a set of full-wrap from Labonville. I think Labonville should send Jfitz a free set for all the chaps he just sold for them!!!
Get well, there's more wood out there to cut.....:cheers:

Just ordered my new set from Drea directly at Labonville, full wrap comps. She said they will have to make them up right now, will take a couple of days, I told her no rush - it will be another week before the stitches are out. Had to order a spare bar and some chains while I was there as well. Nice service.

Jim

Hey Guys, I spoke with Jim a few minutes ago and he told me about what happened to his leg. I came here to check out the pictures and I thought I'd Post a few links for you all to check out.

Our Labonville Chaps come in 3 styles. Regular, Wrap, & Competition The Regular and Wrap chaps are 6 ply and the Competition chaps are 10 ply. They all come in both Orange & Green but I linked the Orange Ones above. (if you're interested in seeing the green ones, just click on one of the links above and then select "Safety Gear" from the list on the left.

You all might be interested in seeing a video we created showing the cut through of other competitors chaps compared to ours. I this this video speaks volumes by itself.

Anyways if anyone ever has any questions or anything feel free to email or call us any time. 1-800-764-9969

- Drea

Just ordered my new set from Drea directly at Labonville, full wrap comps. She said they will have to make them up right now, will take a couple of days, I told her no rush - it will be another week before the stitches are out. Had to order a spare bar and some chains while I was there as well. Nice service.

Jim

Glad you're okay and healing well.

Also, appreciate every reminder about being safe.

I have a few pairs of Labonville chaps. In the summer, they are hot, but I wear them anyway.

Had a "situation" about a year and a half ago. Hemlock branch whipped the saw into my left leg. Even saw it start to happen and couldn't stop it.

The chain left about a 3 1/2 inch gash in the chaps and stalled. Didn't cut through to the the backside of the chaps.

Whewwwwwww!!

I'm all for supporting local products and while the quality may be fine, the problem is the price. The Labonville chaps can be landed in Oz for about AUS$125 <snip>

Maybe not now that our $ has crashed ;) At the current exchange rate they work out at A$120 + freight for my size.
When I bought mine I went through the sums and I was only going to save $10-15 by importing them so I supported the local shop (although my current saw came via the US when our $ was worth a $ :D ),
International post/freight has gone through the roof in the last twelve months too.

Latest posts

Back