Cut tree didnt fall down, now what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenlantern412

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I was doing some clearing and I judged a fall wrong and the tree(60ft hemlock) fell to the left and hit another hemlock. It is now resting against this tree. We dont walk in that area but I dont like a tree leaning on another one. Will a good breezy day blow this over? Getting a tractor up there to pull the bottom out would be impossible. Suggestions?

we all have hangups/widowmakers sometimes. it happens, part of felling. this just happens to be this guys first. we all started somewhere.

that being said, if a tractor/atv are out of the question, get a come along and a long chain. strap the chain to the bottom and the come-along to a tree far away and start cranking. it's crude, but it works. be very cautious around the base of that tree, as anything can happen. there are other ways of getting it down, but for someone new or under-experienced, it should be the safest.

(Grumpy parental tone)

Ya did a bad thing there hoss....

OK, that outta the way.

How bad is it hung up? Just the tippity top in a crotch, or fully locked in and supported enough to use for a tent frame during deer season?

If there is no foot traffic in that area, it might be a good idea to just leave it for a couple days and let Mr. Gravity chew on it a bit with the help of the wind.

Then come back with the Come along, and at least 50' of chain or straps.

Whatever ya do, don't figure on putting a saw on the thing, or the tree that it's hung on, untill it's down.
Ya don't know what the hell you're doing, and stand a good chance of getting squished like a bug..or just getting stuck in bed untill someone pulls the plug on ya. Don't do it.

Sooner or later everyone gets one hung up, and some days, they all seem to roll a bit more or less than expected and insist on getting hung up.;)
At least you're getting the hard stuff outta the way to start with! LOL!!

When it starts coming down, get the hell back and away from the come-along. Every once in a while the Tree tries to get even.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

sumpin like dis?

leaninghickory001.jpg

You need a Dan about you. Then all is well. But feel free to give it a shot yoself. Hell, that's what I do. Go ahead, don't forget to post pics. Come on don't be shy, just walk up to the stump and let er rip. But if its gonna fall on sumpin impotent better climb up there and wittle it down a bit first huh?

Just a reminder:
My name ain't Dan.

thanks guys. I will be using the rope/chain distance come-along method. I have made some mistakes with trees and do my best to respect the strength/power of a mature tree. I have been fortunate my mistakes have been small as I am very cautios and use protective gear. Thanks for the help, and good luck to the professional who never had a tree hang up, you must be one awesome arborist.

thanks guys. I will be using the rope/chain distance come-along method. I have made some mistakes with trees and do my best to respect the strength/power of a mature tree. I have been fortunate my mistakes have been small as I am very cautios and use protective gear. Thanks for the help, and good luck to the professional who never had a tree hang up, you must be one awesome arborist.

I woodnt eben muss with that comelong. But its not like I help you or tell you how to cut cause I would need to be there to get the feel of the situation. From what you describe it would be a few cuts at the base. But once again, i can't really tell what what kind wit out being there.

But if you are thinking of cutting it at the base and then using the comelong be really really careful.

Aww I hate it when that happens...

Gotta be careful, that is the #1 thing, be extremely wary of any tree that is hung up, this is why they call them Widow makers- they will!

As far as a way to get it down safely-- I recommend you get one of them radio controlled winches- Harbor Freight has one it's cheap- like $69 or so- you can rig it to another tree and all you need is a car battery that you carry up with you. I have a couple of these that I use often- I have other heavy duty ones as well.

The honda powered capstan winch is cool, but I like the security of the winch more than an open design that the rope feeds from. Just put a pulley in the middle of the winch rope so you double the pulling power, it will pull most loads.

This is the safest way short of explosives, but that is another discussion-

<:chainsawguy:>

I've hung up plenty trees. Rolled a lot out too, and fell the holding tree. Maybe I was misunderstood.

I've dropped leaners in every way I can think of but one. The ones I've tried have been: Hook a chain from the base of the trunk to the tractor and pull straight away; Wrap the chain around the base and pull at right angles to roll it off; Pull straight away with a come-along; Use a cable with a snatch block when I couldn't get the tractor to the right place to get the direction of pull it needed; Cut sections off the bottom (cutting upward so it doesn't pinch); and letting nature have her way in the winds of winter. Those can all be scary, but none is as scary as trying to drop the tree it's leaning against. That one I haven't tried, and don't intend to.

Back