cutting a 200 foot tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i guess i'll havew to wait untill i get a bucket truck to trim it and then take it down but i just don't won't to mess with it because of the house are so close to each other.and plus it's alittle roited on the out side but i don't know about the inside of the tree

Somebody, somewhere, with the right equipment and the proper knowledge can take down that tree.

Listen to your gut. There's no disgrace in just walking away from something that could turn into a disaster. Read the fine print in your insurance policy, too. Some of them specify distances from dwelling, powerlines, etc. and won't cover you if you screw up.

If the first limb is a 125 feet from the ground what the hell are you going to trim with a bucket truck. I never seen a bucket truck that went over 65 feet.

i guess i'll havew to wait untill i get a bucket truck to trim it and then take it down but i just don't won't to mess with it because of the house are so close to each other.and plus it's alittle roited on the out side but i don't know about the inside of the tree

If the first limb is 125 feet up, no bucket truck will reach it.
200' tall trees are few and far between east of the Rockies....are you sure it's really that tall? Tallest I ever took down (residential} was about 120'...Climbed out of the bucket truck @ about 50' and climbed another 40', trimming off limbs along the way...then dumped the top out between two mobile homes...I was shytting bricks...but I did it..what a ride when the top took off...the bole moved back and forth about 3' for a minute..it was a healthy white pine...the trailer-park just wanted it gone because it was scary tall and all alone on a knob of a hill..

Have your land-owners involved sign a waiver of liability, get it notarized.
Then cut it.

well it looks over 200 foot but i'm not sure they is no way to measure it to find out i just know it's a huge tree and plus some of it is roited so might have some else to take it out for him and tell him i'll pass in this one

Never was a tree that grew on this earth I won't cut down one way or another....IF the people who own the touch-down spot say "cut it".

Don't let it beat you. Set up the proper paperwork that leaves you FREE of liability, and then DIGITALLY RECORD the entire take down. Put it on CDs to give to potential clients.
Look at this as an opportunity, not a defeat.

well i'm not goin to let it defeat me. but i'm just scared of the way it will goin to go right now it's leaning tords a other house. that he don't own but if he it was his hell i wopuld cutt the heck out of it. and i'm just afraid that if i start cutting on it that it will go tords the other house. insted of the way i want it to go.

That is no reason to go for broke.

But 200 foot tree in TN? Between houses?

well i don't know if it's 200 foot but i say it is close to it tho but i would say it is about 115 to 120 foot. but it's betweent houses and it's leaning tords a other house owned by someone else.

well i'm not goin to let it defeat me. but i'm just scared of the way it will goin to go right now it's leaning tords a other house. that he don't own but if he it was his hell i wopuld cutt the heck out of it. and i'm just afraid that if i start cutting on it that it will go tords the other house. insted of the way i want it to go.

Snatch block & a 300' bull line.

Get the other landowner to agree. If it comes down by itself, it falls on his house. He's getting a great deal being that he is not the one paying to save his house..

oh ok i'll see if i can find something to shoot the line up to the middle of the tree and then get it to come back down to me. and then hook it to same line where it would side up tight. and then put it in the snatch block and then take and ware it out with the saw.

40' extension ladder works fine. Tie a working bowline knot, run the line through the snatch block which is hooked to something solid about 150' out, then run it to a 4x4 truck that is within sight of you at the base of the tree.. Cut the notch, put some tension on the line, back-cut slow, and when it starts to move signal the truck to move ahead easy in low range 4x4...when the tree is past the point of no return, the truck should go a little faster...but not fast enough to rip it off the stump...40' up and run through a snatch block, you have a tremendous amount of power..

ok i'll try that when i go back down there the next time i'm goin to do that and see if i can get it down for him with out any probems

Couple of ideas:
1. See if you can sub it out the takedown to another company* and you do the rest of the work.
2. Get the true height and see how much a crane* would come out for.

*Make sure the other comapany or companies are adequately insured.

FYI...most(not all) of those waivers are worthless and at best, deterrents from filing a lawsuit. It's best to steer clear of waivers unless you have some really good legal advice.

well moday i'm goin back down there and take some pictures of it and then post them on here and see what you all say about it and if you all tell me to walk away then i'll walk away from it. but if you all tell m it can be cut i'll take and write down the advice and go the wya yo all tell me how to do it :laugh:

Hey dh1984, I live just over the hill from you and dropped a few trees myself. If you would like I could look at it with you maybe give another idea on how to handle that monster? :)

Back