Cutting a leaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grawil

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a real leaner that needs to be taken down and I'm a little unsure how to proceed. The tree is a yellow/paper birch with a few rotten top branches but the butt & trunk looks sound. I'm felling in the direction of the lean and, besides adjacent trees, there are no obstructions below.

Attached is a quick sketch. I was thinking of putting a narrow v-cut on the lower edge and then proceeding to back cut to the hinge. I also thought about boring to leave a hinge + strap and then cutting the strap to fell. My concern is that the sapwood of a yellow birch might not be strong enough for the strap given the weight of the tree and the extent of the lean.

Thanks,
Graham

Last edited:
Been there

I'm no pro and just went through this with a leaning Alder a couple days ago.
Luckily I took the time to wrap a good stout chain around it because as soon as I started the back cut, she split about 3/4 length. I'm thinking that boring and working toward the back might be the better option, but wait for the pro's to clock in on this as they can speak from experience.

Bore and set your hinge. I'd leave a healthy hinge. I'd then back cut leaving a signiicant strap/trigger and the cut the strap. Even i the strap fails, at least you prevented it from barberchairing and will still fall where you want it. Just be prepaired in case it does break and it won't be a big deal if it does.

sure you can do it like that.

or you can have a sharp ass chain and outcut the barberchair as its happening without doing the borecut.

i take it that this tree isnt too big at the butt if its a birch. if its a peckerpole i wouldnt worry too much about doing the bore cut. to me its a cut for "bigger" wood.

good luck.

or you can have a sharp ass chain and outcut the barberchair as its happening without doing the borecut.

I always have a sharp ass chain ;)

Indeed, it isn't a particularly large... probably 16-18'' in diameter and 60-70' tall. It's reaching for sun on a north-facing slope and has a few dead branches in the canopy.

Many thanks all.

Last edited:
Size definitely needs to be considered as well as the degree of lean and type of wood. Peckerpole - cut it off. If it has any size to it, spend a few more minutes cutting...and living. A bore may not be necessary but it sure gives a lot of control to the fall. There are some good threads on bore cutting - some with videos.

bore

Cut your notch about 1/5th of the way in, then bore into the center of the notch like you take the heart out of the big trees, but if your bar is long enough push it all the way through till it comes out the backcut. Then do a borecut backcut and leave strap, cut the strap and she's gone...that's how I do it. If you do anything else she's gonna split.......:greenchainsaw:

Bore and set your hinge. I'd leave a healthy hinge. I'd then back cut leaving a signiicant strap/trigger and the cut the strap. Even i the strap fails, at least you prevented it from barberchairing and will still fall where you want it. Just be prepaired in case it does break and it won't be a big deal if it does.

See...that's where your wrong.....you want a thinner hinge cause' the tree is going to be falling faster, than a normal tree on flat ground, the fiber doesn't have time to release properly and that tree will split faster than F^&K.... I could tell you stuff that happened in the woods before, that you would never think would work, or happen......that did.........I **** you not...:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

Last edited:
See...that's where your wrong.....you want a thinner hinge cause' the tree is going to be falling faster, than a normal tree on flat ground, the fiber doesn't have time to release properly and that tree will split faster than F^&K.... I could tell you stuff that happened in the woods before, that you would never think would work, or happen......that did.........I **** you not...:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

After reading your reply to this thread it is evident to me that you know how to fall trees properly,this comes with many years experience. IMO
Pioneerguy600

Back