Cutting already cut firewood into shorter pieces

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"IF" you have a wood splitter or your friends have one, just pinch block to be cut between cutter and foot then cut . Rock solid, no flying around little pieces. Luck and thanks for helping out.

I do have a splitter but I figured a rack would be faster since you can do multiple pieces at one time instead of one or two with the splitter.

I just had to do this to about a 1/4 cord. I forgot that I had a little 10inch toro electric saw. It was just the ticket took about an hour to do the 1/4 cord. Grab from the stack hold over wheel barrow cut off a few inches that falls in wheel barrow put long pice on log carrier.

Just got done sawing up 17 pieces with this rack and it worked pretty good. I never once had to move a piece until I was done.

I have a grandfather that heats his garage with wood and he has a fairly small stove, don't know what kind. Well he does not have any wood right now, probably thinking it would be warm by now like the rest of us. Well I figured I would take him some of ours since he does stuff for us quite a bit.

The thing is our wood is cut to 20" and I know his stove will not be able to take a piece that big. I am sure he can take a bigger piece than that but I figured it would be better to cut them in half rather than have a real short piece and a longer piece. And we really don't have any trees to cut up right now, even if we did the wood would be to wet to burn now. What would be the best way to cut the 20" wood in half? Maybe take a ratchet strap and tie down several pieces on a table of platform? I am trying to think of a quick and easy way to do this. I really did not want to have to building anything although it may be worth it in the long run.

You may want to try making your own Framing Saw, and use a 4-5 tpi rip blade ? or a 9tpi Rip/Joinery blade
Good Excerise

You know what, I may just build a simple rack. What I am thinking will be really simple to build and save alot of hassle. I can see the design in my head and I can't see any reason why it will not work.

I was figuring putting two 2x4's for the bottom, screw some 2x4's standing up on each end of the bottom 2x4's and add some braces along the sides or top. I figured I would make it long enough where my 25" chain will cut through the pieces in one pass. I am just debating on how wide to make it. I thought about making it where the bar would not have much room to move back and forth. I hope you guys understand what I am saying.

Simple way, 4 T-posts, 2 in front, two in back spaced to catch the ends of the rounds. Stack a bunch of rounds in and cut down leaving the bottom pieces to keep you out of the dirt.

Latest posts

Back