Cutting black locust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
locust

Locust is hell on chains although I have a simple idea for you. IF you're not planning to keep this wood (are you a woodburner?) than put an add on craigslist for free locust. Odds are pretty good that people will be willing to cut it for you if its free for them to use in their stove or owb.

The first tree I cut with my new chainsaw was a locust, I was hired by some people to cut it and paid 500, so it almost paid for the saw, but it sure was hard on chains!!! The guy called my saw junk because the chains went dull so much so he rented a stihl from a rental place for me to use, at the base of the trunk it went through 3 chains luckily not my chains. The guy called it ash!!! I learned the truth after cutting a lot of firewood for my home and wish I had kept all of the locust wood then. There are chains for cutting dirt and nails in baileys. I think they are over $300 each? Anyone try those?

Latest posts

Back