Cutting firewood and getting older....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may be wrong but I think a front end loader for my tractor would be a great asset for moving wood. I could just roll the big stuff into it and go from there.

I hope to get one before I retire.

Danny

Last edited:
I may be wrong but I think a front end loader for my tractor would be a great asset for moving wood. I could just roll the big stuff into it and go from there.

Danny

Or buck the big stuff where the tree falls and roll the cuts into your bucket to haul to where you split. Believe me, riding on a tractor with the bucket full of wood is an easy way to move wood. Alternatively you can skid the logs out with a chain or tow strap, but I find that unless I do that with snow on the ground, my chains pay a heavy price dealing with all the dirt and grit I gather on the way.

Danny
You can also put forks on the bucket. I just ordered a pair from Northern Tool. I think they will come in handy for moving logs.

Wayne,
You got to use more machinery to help you with the firewood. I just bought a tractor. If it saves you the expense, pain, and rehab on one hernia or knee repair, it paid for itself--in my opinion.

How much hp does that tractor have? I was just wondering to myself what the minimum size of a tractor (hp) would be good for firewood duties. Just curious.

Kevin

How much hp does that tractor have? I was just wondering to myself what the minimum size of a tractor (hp) would be good for firewood duties. Just curious.

Kevin
It's 23 HP, but you could go smaller. Anything is better than using your own hands and back.

I like using firewood for heat but as I get older it becomes harder and harder work to fall and process the trees. The prices around here for cut/split/dry wood are not that much less than some more traditional heating methods so to be economically feasible I need to process my own firewood, and fortunately we have the timbered property available for the supply.

This subject came home to roost this year when I accepted the fact that my recently turned 18 year old son will be leaving the nest over the next couple of years, and with it a strong back and endless energy that helped me harvest the firewood in years past.

As I look to the future where I'd like to continue to heat with wood as long as my health permits I wonder what labor saving devices/systems I can build to help with this task. I like to follow the path of the wood from tree to fireplace side and minimize handling as much as possible. Right now there is a lot of stacking, trailering, restacking, moving to the woodstoves involved in the process etc.

Trying to minimize the amount of bending, lifting, twisting involved in the process I wonder about a powered conveyance system that would transport the wood from the point where it falls on the ground after being split or when it comes off the splitter into the trailer. (My trailer has 4' tall sides)

Or what about a system that would process the firewood in batches. Maybe a system that used pallet crates which were positioned at the splitting site where split wood that came off the splitter was stacked into this pallet device. Then this "batch" of firewood was fork lifted onto the trailer for transport back to the house at which point the batch was fork lifted from the trailer to the wood shed. And finally a batch gets fork lifted from the wood shed into the garage where it is positioned against the wall that has the wood stove on the other side. A sliding door is present that allows one to open the door and grab pieces of firewood as needed.

With this type of system you are handling the piece of split wood only twice. Once when you stack it in the pallet device, and once when you pull it out of the device and put it into the wood stove.

Anybody else give thought to this subject? Anybody getting on in years and looking for labor/health saving ideas, equipment, and techniques??

Thanks
Wayne

Dude I gotta a twelve year old nephew that I thank God for...............he's almost six feet tall and eats like the Cleveland Browns. Geez can that kid hump wood!

Thanks very much for all the replies, this is a very nice community you have here. Many good points have been brought up in this thread and having just returned from a couple of days at our timber property (also our future home) I can identify with many of the points made in this thread.

- Slow down to a comfortable pace / spread the work out over a period of time. This is the main issue for me right now as the timber property is a minimum 2.5 hour drive from my home and I only get so many days off to gather the firewood and process it (falling/cutting/splitting/loading/hauling). Because of fuel prices I pretty much have to optimize the size of the loads I bring back for it to make any economic sense. If I were living on the property I could spread the work out over a period of time instead of having to process my wood for the year in two-three weekends. I enjoy the process of harvesting the wood but being under the gun time wise takes some of the joy out of it. This will change thankfully when we get our place built on the property.

- With regards to the point that cutting wood is good exercise and people need to stay physically active, especially as they age, I agree with this completely, however...
the harsh reality of life is our physical capacity and capabilities diminish as we age, and planing for this inevitability is probably good practice if one wants to maintain X lifestyle for as many years as possible. For me that lifestyle is homesteading or country living, which means heating the home and shop with wood taken off of my place, eating cattle that I raise which includes feeding them, repairing fences, butchering etc, same thing with chickens, pigs.

All of these types of activities are physical activities that are threatened as we age, so I am trying to think through these processes while I am still capable of designing and manufacturing labor saving devices that may help my wife and I to maintain this type of lifestyle. For example, hauling the hay bales out to the cattle feeder involves lifting and moving the bales which are not light weight, so I'm looking at how to minimize the moving of the bales. This involves not only analyzing how many times the bale is moved and how it is moved, but understanding how many times that bale has to change elevation. Every time the bale changes elevation during its travel from the field to the barn to the feeder requires some sort of power (human or machine). The fewer elevation changes the bale has to go through the less work may be needed. The same concept may apply to the firewood making process from falling the tree to the wood stove.

Finally, as we are designing our home we are looking at things like wheelchair friendly entrances, hallways, rooms etc. I would much rather live out my life on the farm for as long as absolutely possible.

A great topic,

Wayne, I've been doing the same thing for a couple years, here is what I've done so far.

Trailer as well as pickup.
Load the smaller wood on the truck, nothing goes on the truck that needs to be split. Roll larger rounds onto the trailer via the drop down tailgate intended for drive on/off. Then load liftable, but still decent sized rounds on top of the larger roll on stuff. My trailer cost me about 1K, and is a joy to use compared to loading all wood onto a pickup.
Another way the trailer helps me is that I made a sawhorse built low to rest that tailgate on when I back it up to the splitter. I roll several rounds onto the tailgate where they can be rolled onto the splitter, then split.

Saws,
I'd used home owner type saws all my life until I traded this last time. God, I should have made that change many years ago. A pro grade saw is both lighter and more powerful + higher RPMs than homeowner types. Also have more than one saw, one for bucking and one for limbing, though a mid sized saw is also handy.
Another thing that can be done with saws is what's called "woods porting". Boiled down it amounts to squeezing xtra hp from the saw, not a race saw set up by any means, but more power for same or slightly less weight is also good. But unless you're far better at motor work than I am, this requires finding a good mechanic to do this work. Still might be worth doing, but I've not had any of my own saws done (yet) so I can't really say just how worth while this may be.

Splitter,

I would suggest a horizontal only splitter rather than a V/H type. The horizontal type has the wedge on the splitters end, and just a push pad on the end of the ram. Then build yourself a table that the wood splits drop onto as the rounds are split. Now you do not need to bend down to the ground to gather them. If the table is made 5-6ft. long you can do several rounds with ease prior to stacking the splits. Last thing to note regarding the splitter is that a horizontal unit can take a 4 way wedge, another time/effort saver worth doing (cost is now $300 for a Iron & Oak 4 way wedge, but worth it over time.)

The costs, (for trailer, better saws & 4 way wedge splitter table materials) taken over a couple of years is easy to handle & very well worth doing. I figure my costs for all these things at less than 2.5K, hardly a issue when you consider how much easier it's made the job when compared to using a heavier saw, wedge sledge/maul & pickup only. If these changes only allow me one added year of wood cutting I'll nearly break even, and I suspect they will allow me much more than that provided my health stays good.

I'm sure you may well have some of the things I've listed already, but just sharing what I've done, or am considering doing.

:cheers:

Last edited:
I'm turning 56 with 85 year old knees. I have a real problem asking for help. I always do everything by myself. I've learned that if I do a few hours a day when its cool out, it gets done. I couldn't get my wood done if it wasn't for my Ford 8n and my Ford 4500TLB.

I don't know if you said that you were married or not but if you are a wife (some anyway) makes a good firewood companion. I let my wife handle some of the smaller chores while I do the heavy duty work. She likes the wood heat better than I do and that's saying a lot.

my wife will run the splitter while I put logs on it .. especially since how slow it is...
the pump on that thing is smaller than my fist and is run off of a 8 hp engine and the cylinder was off of a forklift.. I didn't build it so cant blame me.

Wayne, this is a marvelous thread that you started, and I have read every response from our members. We have a fabulous fraternity!

All of us are dedicated to our hobby and in several instances, it is our job. We all believe in what we are doing and we cheer each other on as we acquire age, a kind way of saying that we are not getting any younger.

We cut, split, move, and stack firewood because it is fabulous exercise. Others spend big bucks going to exercise gyms while we bring in firewood to heat our homes. All of us know that we are healthier because of it, and that is a major reason why we heat with wood. Why should we give our work away to an exercise bike when we could be collecting heat from the woods?

In addition, we have to know what we are doing. It takes practically no brains at all to peddle a stationary bike or walk on a treadmill. It does take brains to operate a chainsaw to fell trees, load and transport logs on a truck or trailer, run a logsplitter, stack the wood correctly, and know when and how to burn dry firewood. It also takes physical strength, and most people will not make the effort. It's too easy to turn up the thermostat.

So, Wayne, as you get older please remind yourself that you and this forum burn firewood to heat our homes and better our lives because we believe in what we are doing. We are becoming a rare breed of citizens, but we are determined to press onward. Please join us in this mission. ;)

+1 OLE !!! :clap: :clap:

...but what to do about that O.C.D. The Woodpiles ??:monkey:

Saws,
I'd used home owner type saws all my life until I traded this last time. God, I should have made that change many years ago. A pro grade saw is both lighter and more powerful + higher RPMs than homeowner types. Also have more than one saw, one for bucking and one for limbing, though a mid sized saw is also handy.
Yes this is a good point, I have a bit of neuropothy in my forearms and hands which flares up after having prolonged vibration like chainsaws, blowers etc. The gas weedeaters just tear me up. 20 minutes of weedeater/chainsaw/blower use guarantees tingling and pain in my arms for all of the following day.

I have always used older saws, some of them quite old (and quite heavy it turns out). A couple months ago I came across an add for like new 18" Husky 346xp and did some quick pricing research on the internet to determine that the asking price was quite good. I purchased this thing without doing any research as to performance, reliability etc which is not my usual M/O. Typically I research the heck out of purchases like this but not this time for whatever reason.

I used this saw for the first time a couple of days ago while falling and cutting at our property and could not believe the difference this made compared to my old saws. These new saws must have significantly less vibration because despite using that saw for a good 3 hour continuous stretch I had no problems with arms/hands the next day. It was so light weight and easy to maneuver, not to mention it started on the first or second try all day which I'm not used to with some of my old clunker saws.

<snip>

Finally, as we are designing our home we are looking at things like wheelchair friendly entrances, hallways, rooms etc. I would much rather live out my life on the farm for as long as absolutely possible.

Very good foreplanning!

One bit of advice. If you haven't already considered it, think of installing one of those 'walk-in' baths when you build. Lot cheaper to do it in new construction. I wish they had been around when I remodeled. Wife could already use one and may _need_ one before long.

Harry K

Like many here have said just do a small amount here and there (if you can) and you'll be suprised how much it adds up. Like an old-timer once told me:

"It's like eating an elephant..a little at a time. You can't do it all at once"!

:greenchainsaw:

Wayne,

Go for effieciny. Spend one trip doing nothing but felling and bucking. The next couple trips, with trailer in tow, transport as much wood as safely possible (you should hopefully have enough rounds bucked to repeat this several times). If you get enough bucked, they can season for a year and you can haul them home next year (the rounds should weigh less after sitting for a year)

Wayne,

Go for effieciny. Spend one trip doing nothing but felling and bucking. The next couple trips, with trailer in tow, transport as much wood as safely possible (you should hopefully have enough rounds bucked to repeat this several times). If you get enough bucked, they can season for a year and you can haul them home next year (the rounds should weigh less after sitting for a year)

there is one down side to that.. unscrupulous people that will take advantage of the bucked wood... nothing worse than going back to the wood pile you worked on and it be gone...

there is one down side to that.. unscrupulous people that will take advantage of the bucked wood... nothing worse than going back to the wood pile you worked on and it be gone...

This sounds pretty rural and is private land. Closer to civilization I could see this being more of a problem. I know of someone who uses the method I mention (it sure wasn't my brainstorm) and he has not mentioned a problem with woodpoachers.

Like many here have said just do a small amount here and there (if you can) and you'll be suprised how much it adds up. Like an old-timer once told me:

"It's like eating an elephant..a little at a time. You can't do it all at once"!

:greenchainsaw:

Or the really old joke about the young bull and the old bull high on a hill looking down at a field full of cows. The young bull says, "let's run down and **** one of those cows", and the old bull responds, "No, let's walk down slowly and ****em all".

This sounds pretty rural and is private land. Closer to civilization I could see this being more of a problem. I know of someone who uses the method I mention (it sure wasn't my brainstorm) and he has not mentioned a problem with woodpoachers.

since when do wood poachers pay attention to private land? or signs? same category as copper thieves stealing the copper wire and motors off of farmers center pivot irrigation systems.. they should be hung.

Back