cutting poisen ivy /oak/sumak(sp) at the base of tree,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This might be kind of wrong, but if I see poison Ivy i wont tell green horns what it is. The reason being; if they got poison ivy, they would know what it looked like. If they come in the next day covered I will point it out from then on. The reason I'm this way, I didn't t get it as a young climber. There were many supposedly top climbers turn down trees with ivy on them just so they could stand around and watch me do the job. It always seemed strange everyone got it but nobody ever had it.

This might be kind of wrong, but if I see poison Ivy i wont tell green horns what it is. The reason being; if they got poison ivy, they would know what it looked like. If they come in the next day covered I will point it out from then on. The reason I'm this way, I didn't t get it as a young climber. There were many supposedly top climbers turn down trees with ivy on them just so they could stand around and watch me do the job. It always seemed strange everyone got it but nobody ever had it.

Was one of those states in the Tri State the state of confusion?
Phil

So, what's the best way to get rid of the stuff permanantly?

You sound like my dad. He made me put a 'bobby pin' in an electrical outlet to show my younger bro's what happens.That was nothing though, He used me to explain why "if you put your finger in the fan, Don't put it in the back of the fan!
Jeff

we did do this maple last year or so that i remember poisen ivy being around,i didnt even get it ,BUT i did get a CRAP LOAD OF CHIGGER BITES on my left leg ,gawd it looked soo SO SO SO horrible,looked like i was shot with buck shot a couple times on my leg ...that is by far the worst itch there is,cause it feels so good to scratch it,made 3rd time i had them

dont want them again

Yep, chiggers are terrible, too. If I get 'em, they're itching for the next ten days. If I have to go into long grasses to get to the trees, I'll spray myself down with repellant and hope for the best. Usually that does the trick.

So, what's the best way to get rid of the stuff permanantly?

Tordon, or anything else with picloram in it. Be careful, it will kill all the trees, too. Overspray by mis-application, over-application, or even enough herbicide properly applied within the root zone of some trees will kill them.

Cut stump treatment is safest. If there is no tolerance for off-target tree kills, consider cut stump treatment with Roundup.

Tordon is for when you really want the ivy to go away.

Any more info on this shot?

Cost?

And what if you are exposed to it during these 3 weeks while you are getting the shots?

If I am rolling in it on a hot day I may get one or two bumbs thats it I always carry a bar of detergent soap when working in it, the crew usually washes with it a couple times a day it helps keep it at bay also dries it out if you get it bad.

I believe it is around five years or so that the oils are still active the plant even when it is dead. Tecnu is great any grease cutting dish soap works just as well and is a lot cheaper. When washing PI off use cold water, hot water opens the pores more making it more susceptible to get it. When it comes down to it grab handfuls of dirt and rub the living hell out of the potentially affected regions.

Back