cutting slab wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sno-man!

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new to this site so sorry if this has been brought up before.

I would like to build a jig for cutting slab wood, I have seen the jigs befor but can not seem to find plans for one. You can stack a bunch of the slabs in the sawhorse like jig and then cut the wood and it remains on the sawhores. The one that I saw had about four or five of the "X" like sawhorses.

Thanks for any help.

I am new to this site so sorry if this has been brought up before.

I would like to build a jig for cutting slab wood, I have seen the jigs befor but can not seem to find plans for one. You can stack a bunch of the slabs in the sawhorse like jig and then cut the wood and it remains on the sawhores. The one that I saw had about four or five of the "X" like sawhorses.

Thanks for any help.

I use about 1 ½ cords of pine slab wood from the local sawmill in my OWB. The easiest way that I have found to cut it up is to use a 10” radial arm saw. I have tried the chainsaw sawbuck method but the radial arm saw works faster and IMHO a little safer.

View attachment 68019

I use a miter saw on a small stand. I have a stop on the end to measure the length. I stack the wood behind my barn, so I cut it as I pull it off the truck and stack it to dry. I wish I had a more powerful saw so I could cut 2 slabs at once, maybe next year.

There were a couple shown here recently. Don't need plans, just the general idea.

I built one years ago using two 2x6 and angle iron "U"s spaced 16" apart the length of the 2x6. U's were wide enough that my 20" bar would reach through the stack. The jig would fold up flat and hang on the side of the woodshed.

Propped it on a couple blocks. Filled it to the top with small gauge stuff, cut in the middle of each space and most of the cut-offs would remain in the jig to be picked up by the armful. Still have most of the "U"s.

Harry K

I've settled on a pretty low tek process for slabs - I built 2 brackets out of 2x6's, they sit on the ground like U's, slabs coming off my mill get piled in them. 30" wide, 30" deep, any length. When those are full, I'll tie the bundle in three places with that yellow 1/4" poly rope & move the whole bundle with the tractor loader or forks. When it's time to cut to length [2 ft], I'll set the bundle on some 6x6's right on the ground, and go down through it with a chainsaw every 2 ft. Then, pick up all the wood. Not pretty, but it's the fastest way I've found. I cut up about 5 full cord every year, pine, hemlock, oak, cherry, whatever. Most goes in the evap. to make syrup. When I pile the slabs coming off the mill, I try to keep one end flush, they won't all be the same length. Keeps the random short pieces to a minimum.

For maximum cutting with a chainsaw:

Use 2x4's, 4' high, 18-24" spaced depending on your bar,connected midway with another 2x4 to form an H.

Now, depending on the length you want, space enough of these to hold a 10-12' slab and connnect the bottoms with a 2x4. To give it ruggedness, you may want to also close the bottom of the H's.

Pic attached, it's crude as my carpal tunnel is making my hands numb again.

Enjoy!

Abe

Back