cutting squish by hand

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With proper tools the squish can be cut easily on a lathe with it being perfectly square to the cylinder. It's the damn set up time on the lathe that is time consuming. Thanks for sharing. Looks quick.
I remember asking Randy about set up in the lathe. That looks like it could be real fussy. Gunsmith's go through that when cutting a rifle chamber. Great post Tree Monkey. Good for winter time reading!

I like it. Keeps it simple. Mind sharing what type of cutter you are using. There are a ton of choices these days. I am a big fan of replaceable carbide myself though prob not needed for this.

With proper tools the squish can be cut easily on a lathe with it being perfectly square to the cylinder. It's the damn set up time on the lathe that is time consuming. Thanks for sharing. Looks quick.
Yeah I don't even attempt setting it up on a lathe for that. On some cylinders .035" or so is only 5 minutes to cut and then polish with sandpaper on the mandrel for maybe 5 minutes.

love the design of the mandrels.... have to ask, would there be some benefit to having a depth mic rather than trying it on and off the chassis so many times? ....ie take it down 38 thou or so and check w/ depth mic, then try on chassis?

I don't have a depth mic, so i'd be in the same boat .... :)
I have a depth mic, just as fast without it.

The question i need to have answered is what kind of air fitting do you have on your hose? I see the quick connect in your hand with nothing connected yet you still squirt some air? Whatever you are using i bet i need one! Great job btw i like the whole by hand mandrel thing slow and careful .

rvalue gave it to me, link was posted.

You could do it much quicker on your lathe and make a better surface both.

I have nothing against doing it on a lath, but how about making a vid showing how to do it in real time.

There was no mention of how you cut the base (pardon my ignorance). Did you do it on a mill, or can you advise?
DSC00044.JPG

I like it. Keeps it simple. Mind sharing what type of cutter you are using. There are a ton of choices these days. I am a big fan of replaceable carbide myself though prob not needed for this.

1/4" hss lath bit.

It takes me longer to set up on the lathe than it took Scott to do the whole job.
220 wet paper gives close to a mirror finish. I've yet to duplicate that on my lathe.
The only one I did on the lathe was a junk cylinder to practice and I had over an hour in setup time. I can cut the base and chamber to desired depth in that time.

We got him his own rolling tool chest and some sockets and bits to start to fill it with..

Every now and then, I'll get into it and scatter it around on the shop floor and bench...

Revenge.....
Remember-To become old and wise one must first be young and stupid!

The only one I did on the lathe was a junk cylinder to practice and I had over an hour in setup time.

It's always good to start with a junker. I'm still slooooooooow getting one dialed in, and I still cringe a bit when run the bar down in there and hit the power.

Latest posts

Back