Cutting timber full of nails!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenwright

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got four 20' lengths of 24" x 24" pitch pine I want to rip down the lengths to make planking. the outside is full of hidden nails and screws, any advice on the type of chain I could use? is there a chain that can do this?

glenwright said:
I've got four 20' lengths of 24" x 24" pitch pine I want to rip down the lengths to make planking. the outside is full of hidden nails and screws, any advice on the type of chain I could use? is there a chain that can do this?

With the price of chains...you might be better off buying lumber than messing with that log.

He said 24"X24" so I'm thinking it's a cant or an old beam. Either way, what if you ripped them down the middle first. Less chance of hitting metal. Then you could work your way to the outside. That amount of lumber would be worth chewing up a couple of chains on to see what you're into. Just thinking out loud here. If they are logs then you'll find the metal is probably at one end so maybe you can salvage some.

Probably can't buy that size of wood over there, those planks you want to make are going to be worth more than a few quid. Suck it up and ???? the torpedoes. Be real carefull and wear safety gear, especially eye protection.

There is no chainsaw chain that will stand up to nails you will need to try pull all the nails or get new lumber.

You can try to see if someone with a bandsaw mill like a Woodmizer might cut the planks for you and pay them for the blade sharpening or blade breaking.

If you don't need the planks 24"s wide you can always slab off the nail infested areas.

Stihl makes carbide chain that they put on the fire department version of the ms 440, presumably for cutting through wood with nails in it

We use carbide chain to cut roofs on fires. They still get chewed up pretty good, we get a couple holes cut in a roof and the chain is usually ready to be replaced/sent for sharpening. They might work for what you are going to do but I think trying to find the majority of nails and screws before cutting would be a better option, since once you hit a couple it is going to be hard to rip that log anyway.

I'm with WRW. A metal detector is probably the most cost effective route. It should allow you to find all of the metal to a fair enough depth to rip some boards and then do another sweep and dig the metal out. Carbide chain is prohibitively expensive,doesn't cut super fast and a PITA to sharpen. Most "trash" logs are milled w/ the aid of metal detectors whether it be a chainsaw mill, bandmill or commercial operation. Wrecked cutting edges is lost time and money.

Last edited:
Just ruined a brand new Stihl chain on one stinking nail in the middle of a 24" chunk of locust I was rip cutting so I could handle it in the wood splitter easier. Probally knocked half the life off the chain and it'll take a few hours to get it fixed up.

In your case, I'd find someone that can use them as they are and sell them for what it would cost to get your planks. Not worth the aggrevation or hazards of hitting nails.

Thanks for all your info,
I think I'll sit on this one for a while, had a closer look at the timber and its got that many nails, coach screws and bolts embeded in it. it will wear out a metal detector!!!!

maybe if I chalk lined were the cut will be, I could scan with a metal detector, and use my "Kamakazi" saw on the day the world ends!!!

Latest posts

Back