Cylinder and case sealant (Dirko) sources

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capeferrelo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I added this to another thread, but thought I would toss it out here. Having rebuilt a number of Porsche and VW air-cooled engines, Curil T is all that goes between case halves. It's made by Elring, who also make Dirko, and can be had from almost any Porsche parts supplier, and many VW air-cooled suppliers. Automotion carries a tube of Dirko for a bit more than 12 bucks. You might also look at Performance Products, Automobile Atlanta, etc. But Automotion gets my nod.

I am not sure how interchangable Curil T and Dirko are, but they serve similar functions (and I have a tube of it laying around, so might just see.... Automotion carries those two and another Elring/Curil product.

I hope this helps some of you who cannot seem to find it where you are.

I agree...Permatex products work really well in water-cooled applications. But I've not found anything that works as well as Curil for sealing air-cooled case halves. When you button up a flat six or flat four, there is no gasket other than the sealant, and the factory used Curil for the sixes. Yeah, it's a bit more expensive, but I've never had a failure. A failure in a flax six gets expensive, fast.

That said, I am all for spending less for good products.

Dirko is a superior product for its application. An overkill for the saws. Have used it and it works great, so does Yamabond. I Still just use Permatex Copper and it is fine and cheap.

Back