brushcutter sprayer prototyping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPDRMNKY

ArboristSite Dork
Reaction score
so...about a year ago, I was running into frustration cutting lots of brush with a chainsaw, and then spraying the stumps with a handsprayer...many suggested a brushcutter/clearing saw...I liked that idea, but couldn't figure out a good way to carry the sprayer along (backpack sprayer is too big). setting the brushcutter down to spray meant repeated bending over (might as well use the chainsaw I have)...cutting a bunch, and then going back, meant covering ground twice and missing some stumps.

many months of internet searching revealed only two (low quality) pictures of a brushcutter with an integrated sprayer, and no mention of where to find such a kit, or how to build it. I also found out that the smallest quality backpack sprayer was 3 gals (still too big). The most interesting find was that several companies make a backpack powered brushcutter (which would be the cat's pajamas for my application)...not available in the US. :bang:

the concept percolated...I knew what I wanted, but finding the parts to build it was problematic. somehow I stumbled upon a plastic parts supplier while looking for a small chemical tank. they ended up having all the cool plumbing parts that I couldn't source locally. between them, a couple local places, and one specialty online part, I had what I needed to build a prototype.

for the record...I HATE PROTOTYPING. the wiring went smoothly, but getting the plumbing to perform right was frustrating. (guess that's why I'm an EE and not an ME)

I used a Stihl KM 130 as the brushcutter platform. Like everything these days, I had to prioritize cost vs utility vs risk. I did find out that you can get the parts to put bike handles on a kombi. I was able to recycle some of my old tac-gear...which was nice.

It's been several weeks waiting for parts, and getting things right. I have one or two more things to try before I begin abuse testing, but it's 85% there.

you put the shoulder harness on first, then the vest

2012-04-11_15-54-34_108.jpg

you hook the brushcutter to the harness, and then make your electrical and plumbing connections

2012-04-11_15-55-52_613.jpg

the nozzle sits behind the limit stop, and off to the left a bit

2012-04-11_15-55-05_421.jpg

the battery and pump are carried along the spine, and the tank is on the off hand side...it disconnects for refilling

2012-04-11_15-56-42_510.jpg

things not shown include an integrated battery charger & quick connect, battery (% of charge) tester, electrical lockout switch, pelican case to carry the sprayer parts (also recycled from my gi joe days), and quick disconnect drains (to purge the plumbing)

I mounted 90% of the sprayer parts so they could be easily disconnected from the brushcutter...which helps in maintenance...and you don't have to drag all that stuff around unless you need it.

still working on details (procedures)...like how to avoid having to hold the nozzle over your head to purge air, and exactly where is the best place to put the check valve. (I'd really like a pump with an integrated check valve...scratch that...I'd really like a backpack powered brushcutter with battery start :rock: )

thoughts, ideas, and comments are welcome.

to give advice you must first give me rep. :msp_wink:

cheers!

Spidermonkey. I like what you're after here.
I have a need for a similar set up for murdering Sassafrass and Sumac that comes up between bushes and have thought about several angles to go about it.

Here's where I got, before going to tinkering/giving up and just using the quad sprayer.

Wiper instead of sprayer, or a concentrate "flinger" (Ultra low volume mechanical mister).

Wipers work on gravity and can be small/lightweight. Easily made from PVC as well. Here's a PDF of a commercial model for ideas.http://www.micron.co.uk/files/microwipe.pdf

The flingers currently available, operate off of a couple D cells, and with a little ingenuity could be combined with the blade guard.
Because they use straight concentrate, the reservoir can be small.
Farm equipment,Bubco Home

I hope this helps, or gets ideas going for ya.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Spdr,

Do you need the sprayer delivering product constantly while cutting, or do you plan on some sort of spot application?

Lotsa guys around here Fab up specialty spray gizmos on account of no commercial alternatives, so the local Orchard supplier has gotten rather flexible and innovative to support us loons. Parts from various commercial sprayers put to new purposes and that sort of thing.
Every Blueberry grower has a unique weed sprayer, and might have 3-4 different designs. It's an unofficial official hobby of sorts LOL!!
If you hit a snag, holler. There are gizmos and fittings nobody ever heard of, that the hillbilly at the supply shop can name the part number for off the top of his head..dude is a savant of sorts.

Those ultra low volume concentrate flingers are interesting. Thomas Bros south of me sell a different model than the one I posted, and it operates off of 2 D cells with a 1pt tank. Darn thing weighs next to nothing. Cousin bought one and has been using it without complaints with 90% Gly concentrate and 10% NIS. I assume it would work well running Picloram and NIS just as well for woody brush.

I had the bright idea of using the powerhead on a flexible boom end, and bolted to the tractor to get between bushes on the fly...never got around to fabbing anything up though. Too busy.
If I find the info on that thing, I'll pass it along.

On the small volume backpack.
12v windshield washer pump and a Camelback come to mind, but I am not sure if the bladders would be up to resisting the chem.
If there is a 2 Gal. unit out there, I know the guy who would know, and will ask. I gotta stop in for Jacto parts this week anyhow.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

DY, it's spot app to the stump (typ 1" - 2" dia) directly after flush cutting...currently controlling a 60 psi pump with a momentary on switch, and keeping it from siphoning with a check valve set to crack @ ~55psi. I reliably have sprays of less than a second...including drip...though I'd like it to be faster.

For specialty spray gizmos...if he can get a plumbing valve that clamps on my cutter tube, and can be operated with my thumb...I'm interested. controlling the spray manually (with the pump just supplying pressure when needed) might be preferable, I just couldn't find a valve I could use without having to change my grip. heck, maybe he can get an electric valve that cycles very quickly...I dunno.

those flingers are interesting...might get one for home. I assume they apply horizontally...and I need to apply vertically. though, one of my smart-aleck buds pointed out that I could always move the nozzle forward over the cutter blade, and have an area fogger. given some thought to a dauber (kinda like a wiper), and I'll probably fab something up to try.

I appreciate ya' asking about the 2 gal backpack...that would be a nice option.

-----

did some coverage testing today on the driveway...lots of maple helicopters spread out representing brush stumps...about medium infestation over 1200 sq ft. given variable conditions I'm looking at 400 - 500 stumps per 1.5 quart of herbicide...and just over 0.5 teaspoons of chem per stump. I was getting about 300 stumps per 2 quarts with the hand sprayer and chainsaw.

cheers!

not that this is a hot topic, but thought I'd report...

took the setup to a pasture clearing job today...had about 8 acres of pasture with locust and hedge saplings (medium infestation) to clear before I got started on the drainages

lots of walking, but I was able to cover about 8 acres in 4.5 hrs...everything that got cut, got sprayed, and my back ain't sore

today beat the heck out of covering the ground with a chainsaw and handsprayer

no before pic....but here's after

2012-05-15_15-42-57_850.jpg

found out that battery life is only about 5 hrs with heavy use...not bad.

other than a few minor tweaks (like adding loctite to the screw holding the nozzle clamp) it's working well

cheers!

Greetings!

I was wondering if I could revitalize this thread to score some of your prototype photos for a sprayer mounted brushcutter. I promise to upload what I end up creating!

Cheers,
Mac

Greetings!

I was wondering if I could revitalize this thread to score some of your prototype photos for a sprayer mounted brushcutter. I promise to upload what I end up creating!

Cheers,
Mac

I was interested in the thing while dealing with the English ivy which the previous owner had planted and had literally overrun the property. Ivy is only affected by herbicides when it has open wounds, so a gadget like this would have come in handy.
I kept hearing some brand (routinely given as Solo, KAAZ or Maruyama) had at one time or another offered a similar add-on to their heavy duty brushcutters but my research ended in a lot of dead ends.

In the end through very oblique ways I found that some forestry firms in New Zealand had indeed tried prototyping a brushcutter/sprayer combo: down there English ivy is a seriously invasive species and will quickly choke out young freshly planted trees, so dealing with it is an economic priority.
Alas, in the end the brushcutter/sprayer combo turned out to be a great idea on paper but not so much in practice and after some field trials they found the best way to deal with ivy (or any other invasive plant they want to deal with) is to use two men teams: the one in the front cuts and another, following 15-20ft behind, uses a power sprayer to douse the freshly cut vegetation with herbicide.
Yes, labor is expensive, but it's the only way to evenly and effectively apply herbicide, especially to kill tough plants that will quickly heal their wounds.

Latest posts

Back