cylinder question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjs97

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i have a free new 5.5 inch cylinder from friend but it only has 19in stroke. that seems pretty short stroke for a splitter. i usually cut my firewood at lest 20 in. or even longer some times. i have owb os length doesn't matter just so i can pick it up.

thanks,
matt

so it sounds like your blocks you will be splitting will be <19". fail to see the problem. free is free.
-Ralph

my question is can i use 19 in. of stroke to split 24 in. logs. basically stroke of cylinder would stop 5 in. short of making complete split. or better to find cylinder with longer stroke? i don't want to cut wood any shorter than 20in.-22in. or so.

thanks,
matt

If you plan on splitting rounds up to 24 inches, then you should get a longer cylinder.

If you stay with the 19 inch cylinder, easy splitting wood (such as red oak) might work, but hickory would not. Since you are probably not planning on being selective as to what wood you will be splitting I would expect a 19 inch cylinder with the wedge set back to 24 inches would be a cause for extreme frustration.

What's wrong with bucking the wood to 19 inches?

i could cut shorter i guess. but just thinking shorter pieces measns more handling and splitting and everything else.

if i put a 16 gpm pump witha 8 horse vertical shaft motor should run that cylinder pretty good shouldn't it?

thanks,
matt

The 16 gpm pump will be adequate with the 8 hp. motor and 19 inch stroke.The cycle time will be 13.6 seconds.
The only problem will be that you will have to fabricate your own adapter to mount the pump to the vertical shaft motor.

maybe adding some big "wings" on the wedge might help split apart a 24" log with a 19 stroke.

just thinking out loud.....................

a 4 inch adapter

Could also make a 4 inch block to go in between the wood and the square.. To use for the stringy stuff.. It would need to be made so that it could not "kick" out. Make the most of the split max out ram then back off and add extension piece

Last edited:
How about this. Put the wedge on the ram so it slides, put the block on a heavy duty bottle jack, and secure that to the other end of the beam, but still allow it to extend. Thatway, you will still get six inches of splitting if needed. May have a limited lifespan, but could be made to easily swap out for new.
Just thinking out loud, too.:monkey:

the wedge i made is 5 in wide. made wide thinking that it would split wood without full stroke. going to try it and i can always change cylinder later if i have to.

thanks for input,
matt

Back