Cylinder sleeve repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundhead

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a MS 290 Stihl and I purchased this used. Ran fine for a while but somehow the piston rings were fried to the sleeve. I dont think it was the mixture but more likely air entered in somehow. I bought a new cylinder head and piston and installed it. my question is, since the cylinder sleeve is not worn too bad, is there a hone that can smooth out the cylinder like you would on a car engine? the scratches are not too deep but I dont know if this will work or not to repair the cylinder sleeve. or perhaps I can have the sleeve bored to a larger displacement. any thoughts?

There is a plating on a cylinder that is only about .002 thick. If you are not careful with a hone you will go through the plating. I never use a hone to clean cylinders. I use 320 to 600 grit sand paper and clean them by hand. And no you cant bore out the cylinder. Pics would be helpful if the cylinder is reusable or not.

Latest posts

Back