Cypress ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonBull

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
First off I have no pics at this time. BUT I am going to just throw it out there.

I found a very cool looking tree in a cemetery where we dump chips. The owner says he brought them up from RI about 35 years ago and planted them. He says they are hinoki Cypress. I cant find any real closeup pics but what idid find doesnt look similiar.

They have a christmas tree type growth structure, are green and red foliage. the needles are arranged almost exactly like the pictures I have see of Sequoiadendron Gigantinum (sp?). They are about 40-45 feet tall. I havent seen any cones on them yet, doenst mean they are not there though.

The trunk looks like the same as a Cypress, cedar, redwood....etc etc

M.D. your'e a smart guy, riddle me this. How come they call yellow cedar cypress on the logging plans I see? I call it yellow cedar, thats what it is, like red cedar, differnt needles, stronger holding wood, looks the same from afar. Who is right, yellow cedar or cypress?

More than one common name?

I know that here in the west, many people refer to Douglas fir as just "fir" trees sometimes even though it's not a fir.

I'm not sure if the logging people cut the nickname that short though.

Thats the foliage shape but the tree in question isnt as far spaced out on the lateral buds. It is a more full tree and the needles are a touch longer. I will try and get pics this week if possible. The tree has a ver conical shape to it like a x-mas tree.

Clearance, it might be that yellow cedar is (was) called Chamaecyparis nootkatensis ( a false cypress) although the name chage to Xanthocyperus is proposed but I dont think finalized. and western red cedar is actually a Thuja plicata. True Cedar, Cedrus doesnt occur in BC naturally as far as I know.

THe hinoki cypress I've seen have an irregular shape and no red.

If you don't use scientific names when there is confusion, there will always be confusion.

Try the following web site on for size, it is run by a prof. at Virginia Tech that my wife had. This guys really does know his stuff when it comes to tree identification. If you go to "I.D. keys" there is a section called "interview me" where you can add in all the stuff you know about the tree and get a list of possibilities. Have fun.
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/DENDRO/dendrology/doctor/doctor.cfm

Back