Damage from logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew461

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
To keep it short and simple my grandma hired a company to log 180 trees off the land. They have just started working and are absolutely destroying the land. At least 2-3 up rooted or broke off trees to every one that it supposed to be cut. I just wonder what can be done.IMG_20150904_194115453.jpg CAM00048.jpg IMG_20150904_194115453.jpg CAM00048.jpg

Attachments

• CAM00049.jpg
    CAM00049.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 42
well to some extent smaller trees like that are going to get mooshed.

From the look of things the loggers are taking the large marketable timber, which is larger and harder to move, making the younger, much smaller trees vulnerable to damage.

From what I see the damage could be a whole lot worse and the loggers are doing the best they can.

What kind of equipment are they using, thinning there will always be some damage normally skinning up of trees here in the west coast. If we did that I'd be packing up and looking for a new job. I will say normally you do cut yourself some lays unless using a buncher. And I do agree with North man they didn't thin as they should unless instructed to take out only that was dead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I say it looks like trash and is a poor representation of logging. They are in a hurry by the looks of things. If there a bunch of trees in the way for falling a large marketable tree we cut the small ones down first rather than dropping the big tree and just completely making it look like war. They are hoggers not loggers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This is just a small area. Maybe an area the size of 100 yards by 100 yards. This is all done by 3 dudes and an ancient timberjack skidder that's pissing oil everywhere it goes. I completely get there will be some damage but it seems very excessive like they are just rushing the job...kind of a time is money deal.

Yep you got it. Now if they are cutting monster red oak or **** oak with a huge wide crown some of that damage is not avoidable. But the oak you showed with the big crack from being bent over so far and standing back up....... That shows there quality of work. They could have at least cut it down and mentioned it to you. Being that it's merchantable size that seems to be the rite thing to do. IMO

Unfortunately it looks as if they will just have to finish up and never be allowed back. One thing I did forget to mention was they are also taking a lot of unmarked logs out. For example they had about 15 full unmarked tress on the landing. I'll post more pictures of some worse damage later.

Did they buy it on the stump or are they paying a percentage per load?

Paid 80k for 180 trees is all I know so I assume on the stump. Guys is disputing it and saying that he is taking 200 now.

And people wonder why loggers get a bad name.

Exactly right. I just wish there's something I could do to get them to be more respectful my land. They are leaves widow makers everywhere also..seems very dangerous the way they are leaving things.

Did you get a contract signed?

uploadfromtaptalk1441630053015.jpeg
This is after running though with a fixed head buncher. Being I'm not on the east coast do they have a pulp market there? If so isn't everything merchantable?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I'd say it looks like a pretty rough job. Like colton says they should be cutting the lays out before they flop the rest.
But its always hard to judge a job by a couple of photos.

Not sure if there was a contract or not. This was my grandmas deal and it seems they think they are going to get one over on an old lady.

I'll
I'd say it looks like a pretty rough job. Like colton says they should be cutting the lays out before they flop the rest.
But its always hard to judge a job by a couple of photos.

Ill post more pics after work of more intense damage

Contract? References checked?

In the future, I'd recommend walking the area with the logger BEFORE anything is cut. Take a few roles of flagging along and flag in the skid trails. That helps with the falling. If they are good, they directionally fall the trees and can minimize damage.

Was each tree to be cut, marked? If not, how and who is picking each tree to cut? Was there a timber cruise (volume estimation) done before cutting?

Sounds like you need........a forester!

Pictures of damage are fine, but what percentage of the whole stand of trees is acceptable to be damaged? I've never seen a perfect logging job, unless you count clearcuts.
You need to figure out what is acceptable...10%? and put that, and everything else, in writing.

I would guess that if it's Grandma's deal, then Grandma is the only one with the ability to take action.

Obviously, their reputation is of no value to them. I would try to make sure they are limited to the letter of their agreement, whatever it may be. I believe that if they take more than what was contracted, damages get up their pretty quickly, something like triple stumpage? Of course, what you can do is controlled be the laws of your state. I think it would be wise to get professional help ASAP, and I would start with a reputable forester. That person could let you know if you have legal grounds to recover any damages. I suspect at this point all you can do is limit what happens from here out.

And of course, advice on the Internet is worth only what you pay for it, our ability to comment is affected by the quality of the data in, there are two sides to every story, and opinions are like a_ _hole_, everyone has one and they all stink (except mine).

Good luck

Latest posts

Back