Damaged Bar -- Any Repair ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vernon Tull

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The quick and simple answer to this question is . . . Never let neighbors borrow your tools. However, some of you who live in rural areas know that it's not always that simple when you rely on each other for help.

I let a neighbor borrow one of my saws the other day, and the new bar came back damaged. I would have been more upset and confrontational about it except that he has lately helped me a great deal with another issue. Sad thing is that the bar had less than one hour on it.

The bar is the replaceable nose assembly type which I'm not too familiar with being just an occasional firewood cutter. The damage is that the bar is twisted slightly at the bar-nose meeting joint. My neighbor must have let a tree fall on the bar somehow. Do saw shops even attempt to repair damaged bars these days?

The damage is that the bar is twisted slightly at the bar-nose meeting joint.

Do you have access to a vise? Without seeing the damage, its hard to guess, but you may be able to clamp it and, using a pipe wrench or big adjustable wrench, twist it back close enough to work. Pics of the bar damage would help.

Dan

I'm guessing he got it pinched and tried to wrestle it out. It may or may not come out using a vice, as there's no gaurantee that the same area will bend back when you tweak it, but its sure worth a shot. If it were me, I'd probably put a propane torch on the damaged area to encourage it to bend back in the right spot. There are probably some temper issues with doing this but, hey, if the alternative is chucking the bar, I'd do it.

So much for the paint job, eh?

I'm guessing he got it pinched and tried to wrestle it out.

That sounds about right!

I don't mind good neighbors borrowing tools, but nobody around here seems to care about the appearance and condition of my saws as much as I do. To so many people, a saw is just another tool to be thrown around and left dirty.

those bars are damn hard steel. it takes alot to bend em and even more to bend em back. you can try to use a vice but i would probably tell your neighbor he just bought himself a bar.

Are you certain it is the bar?

If it is a single rivet tip it is possible.......less so on a three rivet or 5 rivet tip.

Had a couple of similar accidents by customers here in the last week and the tips twisted at the tip mount tang and looked like the bar was twisted.

Pictures will help immensely in giving you a definite answer.

Vernon,

It depends where the bend/twist is. If it's only the tip that's damaged, then by all means get a new sprocket nose tip and change it out. If the twist/bend is down further past the attach point, then it's bar time. Tips are made to replace on most sprocket nose bars. It's as simple as removing the rivets changing it out and spinning or bucking on some new ones:cheers:

Last edited:
This was a cheapish lesson, it was just a bar, what if your whole saw had come back a bit twisted?
Be like me, I freely give out my saw, as long as it is attached to my hands....

Vernon, about 4 years ago I pinched my bar in a sourwood tree that had a bad lean. I gave it the Uri Gellar and bent it at the mount. I was determined not to scrap the bar so I used two 'C' clamps and clamped it to one of the 4X4's that hold up the carport. It's not perfect but I'd say it's 99% and very useable. If I understand the area of your bend then it might take four 'C' clamps, a 4X4 post, and maybe a 2X4.

If it is a single rivet tip it is possible.......less so on a three rivet or 5 rivet tip.

Pictures will help immensely in giving you a definite answer.

I agree. Need to see pics. I just replaced a single rivet replacement sprocket nose tip for an Oregon bar. The hardest part about the repair was knocking out the old rivet. I drilled a smaller hole through the rivet and then punched it out. Couldn't believe how hard that thing was. Then I use a ball peen hammer to set the new rivet. Not as hard as I thought it would be. Just need a really flat steel surface to work on.

I agree. Need to see pics. I just replaced a single rivet replacement sprocket nose tip for an Oregon bar. The hardest part about the repair was knocking out the old rivet. I drilled a smaller hole through the rivet and then punched it out. Couldn't believe how hard that thing was. Then I use a ball peen hammer to set the new rivet. Not as hard as I thought it would be. Just need a really flat steel surface to work on.

+1:cheers:

Sorry, gentlemen, that I haven't been able to post pics. I've been trying to move to a new house on my property, and I've been busier this past week than I've ever been it seems. I appreciate the responses.

Vernon, about 4 years ago I pinched my bar in a sourwood tree that had a bad lean. I gave it the Uri Gellar and bent it at the mount. I was determined not to scrap the bar so I used two 'C' clamps and clamped it to one of the 4X4's that hold up the carport. It's not perfect but I'd say it's 99% and very useable. If I understand the area of your bend then it might take four 'C' clamps, a 4X4 post, and maybe a 2X4.

Many thanks, ScottR, from here in Alabama. This home remedy worked quite well. I followed your suggestion and the bar went back mostly into shape. I'd say mine is about 98%. The chain now turns freely without binding, and even though I've bought a new bar, I'm glad this one is still in service.

Never loan out anything you can't afford to give away. :greenchainsaw: If the neighbor is good then don't worry about it, You would most likely not hesitate to buy him lunch or a round of beers that would cost about the same.

Back