Damn Snow!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Cold" is relative...
Single-digit temps on a clear, blue-sky day with no wind... I can be outside all day wearing long-johns, jeans and a heavy wool shirt...
On a damp, cloudy, 30° day with a 30 MPH northwest wind... insulated coveralls over the top ain't enough to keep me warm all day.
Once the wind gets to ya' it's over... ya' might just as well head for the house 'cause it's only gonna' get worse... that wind will carry the cold all the way to your bones.

I totally agree. While it is easy to sweat while shoveling snow, there is no refuge from the misery of a drizzly 40° day.

How do we ever survive? Drizzle and 40 degrees is the norm here. I suggest some of you research outdoor wear. It's called layering. Long handles, tin pants, polypro undershirt, poly fleece sweatshirt, maybe a rain jacket, some kind of rain hat, wickdry socks and greased boots. That's for drizzly days. Add more layers for colder climates plus a wind resistant outer layer. Carry a dry shirt or two plus spare socks in your pickup. They can be kept in a plastic bag.

For hands? I like those mittens and gloves that you can fold the fingers back on because even at below 0 temps, if I'm moving my hands will get too warm. In our drizzly stuff, the fingerless gloves will do.

I've got quite a selection to pick from, and that's a good thing.

What does a bellow have to do with a regional weather pattern? Is somebody bellowing that it is too cold?

I suggest some of you research outdoor wear. It's called layering. Long handles, tin pants, polypro undershirt, poly fleece sweatshirt, maybe a rain jacket, some kind of rain hat, wickdry socks and greased boots.

I have all that "high-tech" stuff... got it several years back when it was "all-the-rage"... works pretty good in November when temps are in the 20's & 30's... But...
Out here in January, dressed in that stuff... you'd freeze your boobies off my dear‼
There's only one thing that'll keep ya' warm... wool... layers of wool.
When it turns arctic I wear heavy wool socks, heavy wool long-johns, heavy wool shirt and pants, a wool sweater... and pull some insulated Carhart's over it to stop the wind and shed water.
Wool s the only material known to man that does not give up any insulating value when damp or wet... none, nada, zero‼ It wicks moisture away from the body as well or better than any "high-tech" man-made stuff... and it breaths freely (much more so than Gore-Tex and the like), even when wet‼

I have all that "high-tech" stuff... got it several years back when it was "all-the-rage"... works pretty good in November when temps are in the 20's & 30's... But...
Out here in January, dressed in that stuff... you'd freeze your boobies off my dear‼
There's only one thing that'll keep ya' warm... wool... layers of wool.
When it turns arctic I wear heavy wool socks, heavy wool long-johns, heavy wool shirt and pants, a wool sweater... and pull some insulated Carhart's over it to stop the wind and shed water.
Wool s the only material known to man that does not give up any insulating value when damp or wet... none, nada, zero‼ It wicks moisture away from the body as well or better than any "high-tech" man-made stuff... and it breaths freely (much more so than Gore-Tex and the like), even when wet‼

Nope. I've worked in -27 and the other normal winter temps, out in da woods, in Up Nort Wisconsin. Central Oregon, and the North Central part of Warshington and did not usually wear wool. Some of us are allergic to wool. I got along just fine much to the surprise of the natives. The part of Warshington I grew up in gets cold also. Fleece and a shell, doesn't have to be Gore-tex works well for me. The literature I've read also says that synthetics will also keep one warm when wet, but the important thing is to not get wet in the first place and keep some extra clothes in the pickup along with a sleeping bag and a few items just in case. I also carried a fusee in my cruiser vest. If you need to get a fire going fast, that's a good way to get it going.

I love the Thinsulite boots! Nice and toasty. You wear what works for you and if I'm working I'm traveling on foot so want layers to peel off and put back on and clothing that isn't heavy.

The predicted low for tonight is 9. Yup, one digit. That happens once in a while here.

You guys are all thinking the wrong way. If ya have to live in it you have to embrace it. I love a good blizzard. The only thing I dont like about snow is my cry baby boss who is plowed out by 6:00 am, who pouts like a 5 year old when I cant get out till noon to come to work. He's just worried he might have to do something. Anyway.....here is how you make the best of the winter months.

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0142_zpse1cd9593.jpg

IMG_0141_zps9dacb4fe.jpg

DSC_5433.jpg

Just dont let them get used to it unless you enjoy it. It will be like the free wood threads floating around here. :)

I've gone over there at 10:30pm and asked for a hand, and they jumped to it. These aren't neighbors up the road, they're directly next to me 20' away. And since I'm not paid, I'm not obligated to do anything. It's not like they were standing around waiting for me to do theirs either - I stopped both of them from shoveling both times I cleared it yesterday.

Well we got 37"in three days this week so I believe the woods work is done for now.I don't like cutting high stumps and wading around up to your critch isn't fun any more either!

Love the snow, and like to do some winter exploring also in our higher elevations. Unfortunately, the snow here will get a little too deep for vehicles most of the winter.

While I'd really like to have a snowmobile or tracks for the ATV for such occasions, it would be me going by myself in some remote locations. If something broke or I got stuck, would be a bad situation.....

I still eye a set of tracks every winter though...

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I'll take snow over rain and mud any day. We don't generally measure the stuff in feet around here any more and a little bit of fluff on the ground means I'm still moving firewood, albeit with the toy sled a few rounds at a time. Mostly to get outta the house. Can't do anything in the mud.
I've lived in places where four feet was considered 'a dusting', and it wasn't 'serious' until you couldn't find your truck. I don't miss that at all.
Cold... it is what it is. The older you get the less you are able or willing to tolerate it. I remember waterskiing around ice floes when I was a kid, and always being wet in school after a slight misjudgement along the morning trapline.
Now where's my shawl, dang-it, and put some more wood on that fire!

Is it fluffy or sticky? Makes a big difference for me since I don't have a snowmobile.
it was wet and sticky at first . now with the cold temps its starting to dry out so lots of crust and powder!! drifting at this point .. 20 mph winds for the next few days with -15 degs for low temps averaging coldest they say is for tomorrow night/early morning at 30 below! "OUCH"!!! PLOWING TODAY HAS BEEN A REAL SON OF A WITCH!

Latest posts

Back