Dang it got COLD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My next door neighbors are in Arizona visiting there parents for the holidays. It's been in the 70's wherever they're at. They arrive in around 7:00 Saturday night and it's supposed to be -10. I can't wait to hear how that feels to them.
I know, I should have a little sympathy, but I'm just jealous that they have been somewhere warm!

We got 12" of snow in the last 24hrs and it's still coming down. They closed the freeway and cancelled school. Gonna throw some more logs on and sip my coffee slow

What you need to do is put down the coffee, get dressed and head outside. Give those snowflakes a one-two combination and cut some logs. Look up to the skies with a snowy face and smile away.

My TSC 22 ton is about 4 years old now. I have had a foot of snow sit on it for a month, brush it off and start on two pulls. Yesterday, at 19*, I couldn't get it to go. Put a new plug in. I pulled on that thing for 30 minutes this morning. It ran dry the other day, so I wasn't sure if it was still starving, or if I pumped it too much and it was flooded. Checked the spark again, real good spark. Pumped the primer some more, and finally it went, put-put-put for about 5 seconds after I pulled. Pumped the primer some more and each time I pulled, I got a couple more put-put's. Then it started to sort of run at about 12 rpm for maybe 30 seconds and then took off and ran fine. I'm not going to let it run dry again while it's this cold. 19* isn't that cold, but I don't like getting soaking wet sweating trying to start that thing. It's never let me down before, hope that was the last little fit it throws, Joe.

My TSC 22 ton is about 4 years old now. I have had a foot of snow sit on it for a month, brush it off and start on two pulls. Yesterday, at 19*, I couldn't get it to go. Put a new plug in. I pulled on that thing for 30 minutes this morning. It ran dry the other day, so I wasn't sure if it was still starving, or if I pumped it too much and it was flooded. Checked the spark again, real good spark. Pumped the primer some more, and finally it went, put-put-put for about 5 seconds after I pulled. Pumped the primer some more and each time I pulled, I got a couple more put-put's. Then it started to sort of run at about 12 rpm for maybe 30 seconds and then took off and ran fine. I'm not going to let it run dry again while it's this cold. 19* isn't that cold, but I don't like getting soaking wet sweating trying to start that thing. It's never let me down before, hope that was the last little fit it throws, Joe.
I flip my wheelbarrow upside down and cover my engine. I think great grandfather used a galvanized bucket.

What you need to do is put down the coffee, get dressed and head outside. Give those snowflakes a one-two combination and cut some logs. Look up to the skies with a snowy face and smile away.
I'm getting there. No school means I have 2 helpers who think they can just play video games all day. Here comes a rude awakening!

That's painful just to read about. You are one hearty dude to live in that environment!
Ya, its just a matter of sitting close to the stove and feeding it constantly wide open. Managed toget itup to 100F 5 ft off the floor which was minus 15f.. The spring handle on the stove was stone cold. Its a balmy 15f now outside and 58 inside.

yup - pretty darn cold for these parts too.

-12 Celcius = 10 F
-21 C with wind chill = -5.8 F
2 feet of snow on the ground but shrinking in the cold. More snow coming this weekend and then warming up fast with rain next week :eek:

Fire burning 24/7 - Furnace off - house toasty warm :)
2 more years of dry wood in the shed.
I never get tired of the good feeling that comes from being prepared :havingarest:

We got -33 Celsius on Thursday night. But the Drolet proved it was hearty and kept us nice and toasty at around 24 in the house. I was burning Ash logs three at a time only.
So much for global warming. Seems that the colder it gets, the more carbon we generate. Isn't it ironic?

my troybuilt does that when its really cold. found starting it without the choke helps. what weight oil do you have in it. NOT another oil thread!!:dumb2:

Supposed to be near 0* the next couple of nights. Had a fire going WFO this evening and will for the next couple of days.
The fireplace can provide all of the heat for the house down to about 10*. Below 10*, the furnace jumps in to help. It's 15* at the moment and 71* in the house.. The furnace hasn't run today.
I really like heating with wood. Saves me a boat load of money.

Flippin -16 actual temp hear in Ioway, been burning thru a lot of wood. Cold one..........Was outside pushing snow in the open cab skidloader for about an hour today and only thing exposed was my cheeks and eyelids, and they were hurting when I got in. Thermostat is set and 68 and propane is still kicking on.

Back