Dangerous Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darn it , I should of got pics of the rotten 100 bean pole pine I did today! I told the ho it was not safe to climb but that I have climbed some in the past. It however was too far gone. I did the whole tree with the big shot lol shot several ropes three were tied to it and cut the puppy and of course it hung up some but a little pull jerk combo broke the top it was tied so swung down the log hit another limb the rotten log broke in half 40 foot of log swung down the other last little bit of the log 35 foot was caught on rope halfway and we lowered it. The ho shook his head like he could not believe what happened lol. I told him that was why there was three ropes for control of the breaking sections. I showed him without the added safety measures the top would have went backwards and smashed the fence and me if I could not move on the steep hill fast enough!

Nice one rope..

I love that... figuring out a way to do a tree that no one else would even concieve of, knowing what is going to happen and thn watching it happen on script..

Darn it , I should of got pics of the rotten 100 bean pole pine I did today! I told the ho it was not safe to climb but that I have climbed some in the past. It however was too far gone. I did the whole tree with the big shot lol shot several ropes three were tied to it and cut the puppy and of course it hung up some but a little pull jerk combo broke the top it was tied so swung down the log hit another limb the rotten log broke in half 40 foot of log swung down the other last little bit of the log 35 foot was caught on rope halfway and we lowered it. The ho shook his head like he could not believe what happened lol. I told him that was why there was three ropes for control of the breaking sections. I showed him without the added safety measures the top would have went backwards and smashed the fence and me if I could not move on the steep hill fast enough!

I was trying to get a lift in but that didn't pan out ...

You gonna lift that lead up off the service lines in one piece? Sometimes its easier that way...

With the lift out it's a limb walk with shaky top line placement. I thought about getting under it with the dump and lifting the bed with a big extension ladder in it for access. But that seems a bit rube Goldberg (but I have done it).

The shaky top makes lifting it (other than with the crane) not feasible. Perhaps I could have bid higher, and now, very much wish I did.

:clap:
Jeff

Nice one rope..

I love that... figuring out a way to do a tree that no one else would even concieve of, knowing what is going to happen and thn watching it happen on script..

I know you done some like it Murph I have done a good deal of them that way. Some I remember even shooting to tie top then shooting a suitable crotch above and pre tensioning and getting a good wrap four turns on the porty and cut in pieces lowering two foot cut lower two foot cut all the way until the tree can be steered and lowered. I did danger trees for power lines 13 years that equals a lot of dead nastiies with no access! There were no crotch above on this tree and even if there were 100 foot of tree would be heavy even static load! I had all three of the ropes on three separate crotches to the side to where they would swing down and clear the fence and and miss the single phase on this one today! I was peta to get set up but its worth it not having to repair a fence!

Last edited:
you need to make that guy pull up his damn pants, first time he bent over like that with his ass hanging out on my job I'd put a foot in it....

as for the tree, I would have climbed it and have climbed worst..........

I see

I see nothing has changed around here.. Still got the loud mouth POS here and still running his mouth..:deadhorse: Hey I'm just saying what everyone's thinking..Let the games begin!!!!

This is big dead rotten and over a million buck air walk bridge. You'll see ratchet web strapping used to hold the dam thing together as he blocks it down.
Nup not me no way. Graeme McMahon a nice quite and so very brave a bloke.

Sherbrooke Tree Service working on the Tahune Airwalk, located in the south west of tasmania Australia.
Removing a large Eucalyptus obliqua which is leaning over the airwalk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6hEfav9ZwI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFyVJFIohkI

I know you done some like it Murph I have done a good deal of them that way. Some I remember even shooting to tie top then shooting a suitable crotch above and pre tensioning and getting a good wrap four turns on the porty and cut in pieces lowering two foot cut lower two foot cut all the way until the tree can be steered and lowered. I did danger trees for power lines 13 years that equals a lot of dead nastiies with no access! There were no crotch above on this tree and even if there were 100 foot of tree would be heavy even static load! I had all three of the ropes on three separate crotches to the side to where they would swing down and clear the fence and and miss the single phase on this one today! I was peta to get set up but its worth it not having to repair a fence!
same here, I remember doing many trees that some of the people here would RUN from.......

same here, I remember doing many trees that some of the people here would RUN from.......

I was a trim crew foreman ten years, then Danger tree expert 13; as danger tree foreman they gave me all the ones regular crews would tear the lines down on! I basically got screwed, as; the money was not worth the added responsibility. I made maybe fifty cent more per hour:rolleyes:

I was a trim crew foreman ten years, then Danger tree expert 13; as danger tree foreman they gave me all the ones regular crews would tear the lines down on! I basically got screwed, as; the money was not worth the added responsibility. I made maybe fifty cent more per hour:rolleyes:

Yeah, but you had that nifty title! Did they give you a fancy embroidered patch too?? that might have been worth it right there...

Seriously though, that line work is some hairy crap for sure. I have buddies that do that stuff. I think I'd rather stick to working people's nice sunny yards in the summertime, if I had my choice.

Yeah, but you had that nifty title! Did they give you a fancy embroidered patch too?? that might have been worth it right there...

Seriously though, that line work is some hairy crap for sure. I have buddies that do that stuff. I think I'd rather stick to working people's nice sunny yards in the summertime, if I had my choice.

Yeah a little extra title which was little comfort on pay day lol.

I will never do line clearance unless it is pure supervisory again. I am too old and experienced
to be getting ate up by chiggars and ticks for peanuts again. If my business does not make it I will try working for a residential service or forestry job of some sort.

Last edited:
I used to think climbing really hazardous trees showed how big my bulls were. Now I think its irresponsible. Your life is worth more to your family and friends, then damage to a fence or another tree. The first tree could be felled and what ever damage it caused repaired by the homeowner, The owner of the tree bears some responsibility. It doesn't take a genius to tell that the tree was unsound the home owner let it rot for years before they decided to remove it before a public gathering. You damage an other tree you prune out the damage and bill the home owner.

I give it to you, You have balls for sure! It was dangerous,yes. But i think it was the best way to bring it down. Screw bucket b!t(hes. I think i would have tied into a surrounding tree as a secondary precaution. I would have rather fallen and swung into a tree trunk and broke some ribs or something than come from 80+ feet up down to the ground and die. but hey, thats me. Glad you got down safe and all is good, she is pretty good lookin too. Happy Holidays
-ac

Dont get me wrong with the bucket trucks. They are a handy tool say around powerlines and what not. But a very easily climbable tree like this there is no need
-ac

This is big dead rotten and over a million buck air walk bridge. You'll see ratchet web strapping used to hold the dam thing together as he blocks it down.
Nup not me no way. Graeme McMahon a nice quite and so very brave a bloke.

Sherbrooke Tree Service working on the Tahune Airwalk, located in the south west of tasmania Australia.
Removing a large Eucalyptus obliqua which is leaning over the airwalk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6hEfav9ZwI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFyVJFIohkI

That is truly masterful stuff I have seen it before kudo's to sherbrooke I particularly like the large wood bomb having to miss the ropes guying the tree. I prolly could do it but it would be huge bucks or no go lol. He prolly is very humble imo.

I used to think climbing really hazardous trees showed how big my bulls were. Now I think its irresponsible. Your life is worth more to your family and friends, then damage to a fence or another tree. The first tree could be felled and what ever damage it caused repaired by the homeowner, The owner of the tree bears some responsibility. It doesn't take a genius to tell that the tree was unsound the home owner let it rot for years before they decided to remove it before a public gathering. You damage an other tree you prune out the damage and bill the home owner.
nothing to do with big balls, more like skill, why cause all that damage and look like a rookie when you can do it right and look like a pro and go home happy......

if dead/danger trees scare you then leave them for the people that aren't scared of them, if you told me that you couldn't do that tree without collateral damage I'd end our conversation right there, you go in causing a bunch of damage and the customer and his neighbors see you as someone that can't handle the job, I go in and get it done without any damage and they'll be over asking me for quotes.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back