dating an older stihl...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree_beard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
... i was thinking a posh meal (maybe some holm oak) and a late movie...

no, seriously, my 044 is second hand and i was wondering how i would find out its year of manufacture, there is a little date wheel thingy inside the top cover but that just gives me a month.. cheers amigos

does this sound like the right number?

11280840900111 ?

if not, roughly how many digits should the serial number be?

It will probably be covered in carbon and the tag is metal with numbers etched into it. It is located below the outlet hole in the muffler, on the clutch side, above the inside dog where the clutch coer and crankcase meet.

this is the only number i can find in the area you have described... any ideas? is is a U.K baught german made stihl...

thanks

i thought she was being coy about her age....

thanks for the quick responses.

any other way to age a saw other than serial no. ?

There are some other things without digging too deep that will give you a general idea. One that I remember is if the fins on top of the cylinder go straight across (parallel with crank) or if they go diagonally. Also whether or not it has a decompression valve. If I remember correctly.
Gen I: Cylinder fins go diagonally
Gen II: Cylinder fins go straight across
Gen III (aka 440): Cylinder fins go straight across and it has a decompression valve.

Not sure if this will help you much though.

straight fins i believe...

its not hard to do deep digging, it is currently completely stripped and in several boxes... if there is something that can narrow it down.

cheers for all the input guys

straight fins i believe...

its not hard to do deep digging, it is currently completely stripped and in several boxes... if there is something that can narrow it down.

cheers for all the input guys

Does that include having the cases split? The serial number is also stamped inside the crankcases.

Back