David Bradley - Gear Drive Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love that old motorcycle sound

Ive got two DB saws with half inch chain and the things sound really bad A__ dont they? Best I can tell mine were made in the late 50s early 60s. One note of caution. The gear drive will throw you if you arent carefull with it.

Here's some pics I took of it this morning. There's still some rust on the tank I didn't realize I missed.

297857936_74nhB-M.jpg

297858359_okvbw-M.jpg

297857784_oi8xs-M.jpg

297857798_H8Rfo-M.jpg

It's all clean inside the gear box too.
297858174_9qnz5-M.jpg

297858177_Sy2To-M.jpg

Originla bar perhaps?
297858613_s4kj5-M.jpg

The difference in size between 1/2" and .404.
297857531_H7HbN-M.jpg

Carb gasket

I was looking at the sears parts website and punched in the model number for my DB and it showed that the gasket kit was still available so give that a shot. It was really the only thing of much use that was available for my saw.

Here is the one I just bought, Model 917-60044. Not as nice as Mr. Snellings, but still serviceable. Jeez. This is what I get for hanging around here. Oh woe is me.

DB_917_60044.JPG

It is missing the outer felling spikes, but already have a pair coming, and the lack of a filter is worrisome.

I too have been spending time at Mike Acres site looking at the model numbers then going to the Sears parts website to see what is still available. Not too much, BUT since these are all virtually the same machine, parts will interchange, like condensers and coils. I have found a place that carries old Fairbanks Morse starter assemblies too. So I am not worried about being able to make the saw run. Now if I can get one of the old 26" roller-nose bars that would be over the top!

How did you get yours so clean? Did you use an aluminum cleaning compound or just elbow grease and some solvent on a scrubbing pad?

db

hey guys I have a db and a homelite zip and im hoping to pick up another db this week end but I need a new bar for the db can any one help thanks john

Back