David Bradley - Gear Drive Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The original filters wash out real well and are reusable for a lifetime. I clean mine with varsol to start and then wash with hot soapy water and they cleanup fine.Put it through the dishwasher it will do fine. LOL Pioneerguy600

Great to hear its running again! Have you put it to some wood yet? Did that have an 18" bar? Have you decided on repaint or the classic 'used' finish? Oh nevermind I saw your other saws. My uncle told me that he spent $50 on the 1/2" pitch Oregon chain that is on my Lancaster at a local surplus store. Somebody might have it cheaper. If you are like me you will never wear out that chain. It needed sharpened and some lube but had a lot of tooth left. Oh by the way if you paint just a little bit of orange on that saw you could put a Stihl sticker on it!

It's 2:30 AM and I just came in from finishing up the DB. It's ready to cut wood. I blocked all the ports off, soaked it with engine cleaner and pressure washed. After a good drying, I then pulled the clutch and drive gears. It was a nasty mess in there. I reassembled with the drive gear reversed to get new teeth on the chain. I sanded the sides and dressed the rails on the bar. It's a DB bar, perhaps the original. It's all back together and running. The oilers working good. Now I just need to stick it in some wood. For now, nothings been painted but I did wire brush the screws and rusty sheet metal. We'll have to see about the paint. I want to get it in some wood first.

Dagnabit...now I want one.

That old saw looks so kewl. I need to start looking for one of those old monsters.

Can't wait for report on how that monster chews wood!

Here's the video I promised. I don't have any big wood to put it in, so this'll have to do. I checked the RPMs back in the garage and it's set to 7500 RPM. You can hear it try to clean out on the last cut and then go back to 4-stroking. It should be close there.

You may have to wait a few minutes for the video to finish processing at YouTube.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pXxKPEa93_c"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pXxKPEa93_c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Here's the video I promised. I don't have any big wood to put it in, so this'll have to do. I checked the RPMs back in the garage and it's set to 7500 RPM. You can hear it try to clean out on the last cut and then go back to 4-stroking. It should be close there.

QUOTE]

Dang! Sounds great! Now I can't wait to get back into mine. Do you know if the piston has a cut out on the intake side or how many reed valves you have?

I love the way it sounds when it winds down.

At least when my wife asks me "where the HELL did you get that, and WHY"!!? I'll be able to tell her some character on a web forum talked me into it.

http://www.arboristsite.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=1291&cat=6

I am buying this one from a fellow forumite. I sure hope it is a diamond in the rough like yours.

Boy that chain is big!

I'm afraid...

I am afraid to even clean the junk off some parts of the Strunk for fear of damaging something or losing part of the character. It is clean enough to run properly and I will just leave it at that until I am really motivated some day to make a complete restoration.

That's my $0.02...

Mark

The old Bolens Thrifty I found was in pretty good shape so I went ahead and gave it a good cleaning. Looks pretty good and makes a lot of noise but I don't want to do anything to that 7/16" pitch chain. Maybe I can find a 1/2" sprocket/drum as I do have an extra loop of 1/2" pitch that I think will fit.

attachment.php

Bradley.

Mow your yard man.. To much time playing with old relics.. LOL I would just leave it alone oil it up or spray it with a liberal coating of wd40/

A lot of what you see is actually paint. It's called metallic grey. But it looks a lot like that Hammerite paint. I wish mine has as much original paint as the one above. Other than the paint mine's in truely excellent condition.

Back