David Bradley Parts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torquin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up an old David Bradley the other day. It supposedly runs fine, except the starter cup is worn out. This is the cup the bolts to the flywheel, that the starter "wings" grip when they fly out as the cord is pulled. Does anyone know where I might find one of these?
It seems like it's similar to what came on the old Tecumsehs, but I don't even know where to get one of those at this point.

Thanks,
Chris

Cup repairs;

Here are some pics of what I do to repair and get those old cups to work again. Lewis.

ReworkofRewindsonSaws.jpg

SawRepairs001.jpg

SawRepairs002.jpg

I use a triangle shaped file to cut the grooves in the cup, rework the starter pawls and make sure there is enough resistance on the starting pawls to make them come out and engage the cup. I've repaired several saws this way and it works just great. Lewis.

Lewis,

I also grind the edges of dogs that engage in the cup like you showed. I often find the friction (leather ?)washers in the fairbanks starter to be worn. What material do you use to replace them with ?

thanks
roland

Friction washersd:

Hello Belgian. I've made them from different materials from hard Plastic,fibre board type stuff to using pieces of Rubber inner tube. The inner tube works well, the thicker the better. Lewis.

Ha, 6 pack:

Hello Belgian. You don't owe me a thing. Just glad to help, any way I can. Just remembered that I have also made those fricton washers out of some of that 1/16" Buna nylon material I have. It probably will work better than the inner tube over time, may not rot or be affected by oil as much. But that's the trick. You may have to put a couple drops of oil on the rewind spring and the pulley shaft, but you will have to keep the oil OFF the friction washers for them to work properly. I've taken old rewinds and cleand them up (especially removing any oil from the friction washers) and have them work perfectly well after wards. Might be better to use some light grease on the rewind spring and on the pulley shaft instead of any oil that could get on those friction washers. You take care. Lewis.

Reworking starter:

Hello torquin. Let me know how this works out for you. Once this is done, you will find that if you pull the starter rope out just a bit the starter pawls will engage, then you just give the saw rewind a yank and they will not slip. I've had one saw where she kicked back a bit while starting her and the starter pawls and the grooves in the cup, sure didn't slip.

Latest posts

Back