Davit in action!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well as much as i hate to keep repeating it, If those big chunks were noodled down before they were loaded in the truck or trailer, there would be no need for a chain or tongs. Ok now ya'll can flame me.lol. But i do like your crane, Wish i had one.

If you don't like noodling then you never owned a Solo 681 hehehehe.
I would bet I can noodle those big rounds down faster to handling size than a lifting rig and splitter.

i did the samething as you only my rounds are alot smaller.
100_1087.jpg
getting to be too much to pickup and load on the truck. i can load the truck with this setup also, then roll them onto the splitter at the tailgate. now i just have to put up some siderails to handle more rounds. harold

How about a vertical splitter. That way no lifting no chain no tongs no noodling no crane just splitting. Thats what I have been thinking when I saw the first pic. I mean really that looks like a lot of work an danger to me and expense. But do what you gotta do stay safe.

How about a vertical splitter. That way no lifting no chain no tongs no noodling no crane just splitting. Thats what I have been thinking when I saw the first pic. I mean really that looks like a lot of work an danger to me and expense. But do what you gotta do stay safe.

Vertical splitting isn't as easy as it looks. You still have to push/twist/move those 500# chunks of wood to get them into position to split.
BTW, my splitter will also go into the vertical splitting position and we don't use it that way unless absolutely necessary .

I've got one and use it all the time just use a canthook and your money a hookeroon helps to. You think splitting 600lb rounds is necessary in the horizontal position?

Last edited:
I'll have to post a pic of my set up, that red crane in the truck is from Northern Tool right? on sale right now for $169

buying a new splitter would be way more expensive than this setup. Plus it can be used in the field to gather wood. It also has a ton of other uses besides the wood handling. Making it the best choice for me.

buying a new splitter would be way more expensive than this setup. Plus it can be used in the field to gather wood. It also has a ton of other uses besides the wood handling. Making it the best choice for me.

And that is all that matters! :clap: I have always thought about doing the same... just never pulled the trigger, yet.

Back