Day off... what to do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got near all my "get ready for winter" stuff done... even cleaned up the leaves yesterday.
It's a cool (37 °), clear-blue sky, fall morning... a perfect day for doin' a little firewood cuttin' in the woodlot.
And here I sit... waiting for the Direct TV guy to get here and upgrade all my satellite TV equipment :(

I pulled the "plug" on my satellite awhile back. no body watches satellite at my place, they like to stream movies and such over the internet though. I kinda like it too, no commercials!

Thanks

I can afford internet and a cellphone..or satellite. Ain't no cable nor phone company DSL out here.

We use rabbit ears. Don't get much for stations, but it works. We used to have a decent outside antenna, got a lot of stations even without a rotor, but when the tornado broke it, never replaced it, need new mast and antenna itself. It's never been high on my list of repairs.

WS, if you are looking for something to do on your days off, I have lots of wood o be cut in my woods. Should keep you b usy for a day or two. I'm up by La Crosse, WI

We have regular ole attenna TV, get 'bout 40 channels, super clear digital picture, best part...free!

So WS, you have the storm windows in, mower winterized, bias ply tires on, water lines drained, snow blower tuned up, guns cleaned, knives sharpened, chimney cleaned, septic pumped, Christmas lights up, registered to vote, EPA nastygrams mailed off, woodstacks trued up via laser transit, gravel driveway oiled, pool drained, antifreeze checked, rosebushes tucked in, birdseed stocked, black Friday list made, pumpkins picked, applebutter made, hatches battened, boat stored, skies waxed, snow shoes mended, snowmobile serviced, mousetraps set, muffler bearings adjusted, rugs beat, cows milked, butter churned, bacon cured, sleigh bells polished, plates renewed...all that?! NO?! SLACKER! :D

So WS, you have the storm windows in, mower winterized, bias ply tires on... NO?! SLACKER!
LOL
Yep, all done except the EPA nastygrams (some work never ends ya' know)... the wife has been a busy girl :D
I do have one chore still to get accomplished... I ain't laid in the winter whiskey supply yet.

Yeah, the satellite TV thing... our main receiver, the HD DVR laid down on us. I called 'em and they was gonna' send out a replacement... then my wife grabbed the phone and started yappin' about an upgrade. By the time she was done we ended up with a whole new system... the new Genie HD DVR and three Genie Mini HD receivers (Ya' know?? The "Whole Home" DVR system). She was damn proud of herself... she tells me when they're coming, she can't be here so I have to be... the upgrade is free, but she bought a larger (and more expensive) programming package... then claims nothing ever gets done unless she handles it herself :rolleyes:

(I know what's coming next... we're gonna' haf'ta buy HD TV sets for the 3 Genie Mini's... mark my words‼)

I just nodded in agreement (it ain't worth the argument). 57 channels?? Try like 257 channels‼
Heck, I didn't even know how to run the equipment we had... couldn't have "DVR'd" something on a bet, let alone figure out how to watch it if'n I did (not that I'm an idiot... just ain't never had want or need). And I sure-in-he‼ didn't need to be able to pause a program in the living room and finish watching it in the bedroom, most of the time TV puts me to sleep faster than warm milk... don't matter what room it is. On an average, I'd bet I don't watch more than an hour of TV a week... and it's only gonna' cost me $30.oo per hour to do so ($130.00 per month) :confused:

Im off til tuesday and debating what to tackle. Wanted to rent a wood splitter today and get all my wood split but last nights rain made the back yard pretty wet and screwed up that plan. So i could wait til tomorrow to get the splitter and run the risk they are all rented out for the weekend or i could split today in the mud. Or i could go cut some more but the area i cut isnt easily accessible when its wet out and as its not my land i have to be careful about tearing it up. I could fix the lights on the wood trailer that keep popping fuses when i plug them in. I could build another wood shed, but where i want to put it is right where the big pile of rounds are that need splitting and moved first.
Or i could say screw it and go bow hunting and probably waste a day not seeing anything anyways.
Instead im sitting on the computer, watching nothing good on TV and watching the day slowly start to drain away :(
<sigh>

I'll be gathering up and checking duck decoys, waders, gun, calls, etc. Season opens tomorrow!

TV is vastly overrated and a time killer. My old flat screen got taken out by lightning surge, I ain't even mad. The new one has wireless streaming, win win. Paying for TV is a rip.

That beats the Sh!t outta just about anything though, no ?

not really. The DNR screwed up the deer population in northern wisconsin thru poor management, combine that with last years hard winter and theres hardly any deer up there anywhere. The few we did have didnt survive the winter
I'd rather get something done than get frustrated bow hunting. Couldnt get a splitter at the rental store so i ended up working on the trailer lights which turned into an all day nightmare. Finally got them working but wasted most of the day doing it. Did have time to snag a truck load of ash before dark tho.
3 more days in the 60 s and then we won't see that temp again til spring most likely. Last chance to git er done before the snow flies.

not really. The DNR screwed up the deer population in northern wisconsin thru poor management, combine that with last years hard winter and theres hardly any deer up there anywhere. The few we did have didnt survive the winter.

Yep! Last year there were a good number of deer tracks and we saw one buck and half a dozen does when we scouted the day before firearms opener. 4 of us hunted 5 days straight sun up to sundown and didn't see a deer. First morning we saw tracks where 'yotes chased a deer, and found hair on top of the snow, but never found a kill - the tracks went into the swamp and I didn't want to get wet. No new deer tracks the next 5 days.

The big furry 4-legged predators aren't helping matters either. We hunt just South of Presque Isle, and the house that we hunt out of is not too far from P and Papoose Landing Road. We saw 2 woofs there over Columbus Day weekend. We've never seen them in that area before.

We hunt just South of Presque Isle, and the house that we hunt out of is not too far from P and Papoose Landing Road. We saw 2 woofs there over Columbus Day weekend. We've never seen them in that area before.

I hunt about 2 miles west right on the corner of O & W. It's sad, back in the mid 90s i'd see 60 or 70 deer a year, granted some were the same deer and i'd have 5 to 8 bucks in the area at various times. Last year i saw 5 deer total and so far this year just 2 does. I'd rather cut wood and get something out of my time and effort.
Never saw any wolfs up there but i did see turkeys on my land for the first time ever. Never see any oak trees in that area either

Back