Daydreaming about a 90cc class saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey

Wood junky
Reaction score
So, I'm stuck in the house today with a ferocious thunderstorm rattling the walls. This got me to daydreaming about my next saw purchase. Here's the background. I already have MS361 and MS461 with 20, 25 and 32" bars and chains. Want something for really heavy-duty work in Eastern hardwoods (Oak, hickory, beech, etc.) like bucking 25" logs, stumping and milling flitches up to about 30+" dbh. Thinking of MS661R vs. 390XP vs. other? So let's here some opinions. Of course, used will always be the best value, but let's stick to NEW. FWIW, it would easier to plug in the 661 since I already have multiple bars. Also, my local Stihl dealers are more likely to haggle on the price and are a little better at service. That said, I have no specific brand loyalty and would be open other brands if obviously the better choice. Discuss...

Milling 30" with a 90cc will e slow. I would doing with a 394/5 or maybe a 660 if it was all I had. A 385/390 will be way slow and take a light touch to mill that wide with. I did it one day with a 36" and 30" mill.

Milling 30" with a 90cc will e slow. I would doing with a 394/5 or maybe a 660 if it was all I had. A 385/390 will be way slow and take a light touch to mill that wide with. I did it one day with a 36" and 30" mill.
Thanks, I kind of realized this but I'm not thinking of doing this on a day to day basis, just thinking about the extremes. Actually, for no that I think some more about it, anything >20" I'd probably hire someone with a portable and mill.

Back