Daydreaming about a 90cc class saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey

Wood junky
Reaction score
So, I'm stuck in the house today with a ferocious thunderstorm rattling the walls. This got me to daydreaming about my next saw purchase. Here's the background. I already have MS361 and MS461 with 20, 25 and 32" bars and chains. Want something for really heavy-duty work in Eastern hardwoods (Oak, hickory, beech, etc.) like bucking 25" logs, stumping and milling flitches up to about 30+" dbh. Thinking of MS661R vs. 390XP vs. other? So let's here some opinions. Of course, used will always be the best value, but let's stick to NEW. FWIW, it would easier to plug in the 661 since I already have multiple bars. Also, my local Stihl dealers are more likely to haggle on the price and are a little better at service. That said, I have no specific brand loyalty and would be open other brands if obviously the better choice. Discuss...

So, I'm stuck in the house today with a ferocious thunderstorm rattling the walls. This got me to daydreaming about my next saw purchase. Here's the background. I already have MS361 and MS461 with 20, 25 and 32" bars and chains. Want something for really heavy-duty work in Eastern hardwoods (Oak, hickory, beech, etc.) like bucking 25" logs, stumping and milling flitches up to about 30+" dbh. Thinking of MS661R vs. 390XP vs. other? So let's here some opinions. Of course, used will always be the best value, but let's stick to NEW. FWIW, it would easier to plug in the 661 since I already have multiple bars. Also, my local Stihl dealers are more likely to haggle on the price and are a little better at service. That said, I have no specific brand loyalty and would be open other brands if obviously the better choice. Discuss...
It's not impossible to use your Stihl bars on a big Husky. Simple inexpensive adapter to make the studs fit in the slot and file the tensioner pin.

My vote is for the 661. Remains to be seen how it will do in HD applications like milling vs the 395 but it should be an easier saw to handle outside of the mill.

I want a 390 over a 395. You'd probably want a 395 over 390 for what you're doing. However I've given my .02 already.

I have a stock 395 and every time I use it, I smile as it just falls through the big stuff. Yes its heavy, but I don't know many 7hp machines that are super light and rugged. I can't speak for the ms660/1, it would fit your herd well.

How about having your 461 modded?

Thought about it. Even stock it fits most of my needs except I really wouldn't want to mill with it. Just thinking it would be nice to have big saw that it could feel more comfortable strapping into a mill on occasion.
The 390XP is by far the biggest bang for the buck. They are my favorite saw in that class, and mod like crazy. But, since you already have a MS461, you might consider the 395XP.

Yeah, 390XP doesn't seem like such a big difference from my 461 so I was looking @ the 395XP. 888/3120 are just too big and specialized.

For a mill I would think about 3120, 880 or the older generation 051, 070, 090, etc. That's why I thought it would be a nicer idea to have your 461 modded.

I have been dreaming too. Mother -in- law has three huge oaks to be cut down and then up. I'll see what the butts look like, may take them to the mill. It's going to be fun with my new,to me, 390xp.

A lot more fun than this weekend putting ball joints on a Dodge 2500.

Hi Grey, i'll keep my eyes open at my stihl shop. i go there at least once a week for other stuff(they are a farm supply store too). i always visit the "used" saw rack when i go there.CAD :dizzy:. i'

Back