Dayton 2Z463B

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnpser

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Long story short, bought 20 acres and then I found a Dayton 2z463B saw at a pawn shop for $40. For never having heard of this saw before I took a chance and bought it. At first it would start but when you released the throttle it died. Took it apart, cleaned up the carb and adjusted the idle now this thing cuts very well.

I love the fact that it has both the manual and automatic oiler on it.

I got this because I am in the process of building my log cabin on the place. So far I have dropped and cleaned up 5 trees with an average butt diameter of 16". The terrain is pretty steep so I have been waiting to get some more cable so I can reach the trees up the hill to drag them down. Picked up about 200' of 1/4" cable the other day for $33 off of craigslist so now I just need to put the ends on them. Will pick them up next time I am in town. The tops of the trees and branches are going to end up for firewood.

The cabin will end up being around 15 or 16 feet square inside to start then I will add on to it later.

The big thing is that I was impressed by this little saw.

I have attached some photos of the land and the view.

LOL all in the symantics. Why do some people call it a pop a soda or coke? Polecat or skunk?

One definition of a cable - a wire rope or metal chain of great tensile strength (I guess this fits the description)

It all depends on what you grew up around. You can do better than nit pick at crap like that. Hell for all you knew, I was talking about coax.

Anyhow, I did not post pics because I did not have them at the time but here they are.

245917d1343015349-dsc07089-jpg

245918d1343015370-dsc07090-jpg

245919d1343015394-dsc07091-jpg

245920d1343015416-dsc07092-jpg

Poulan 306A type. Finest kind.

Ummmm.........................I'm retired after 30 years at Wire Rope Corp. of America. Just woolin' you around some.:hmm3grin2orange:

Not a problem, I can take it. I do like the way that this thing cuts. I need to find the bumper kit and a new oil cap. You might be able to see that one of the tabs is broken off and is a pain to open.

Nice old saw, same as Poulan 245a (also like 306a but more displacement), just picked one up recently myself.
The oil cap is also the same as on my 3400's, though there are two different types on those. If it looks the same it will fit, the other one looks different with wider tabs, probably an improvement in strength. I'm sure any of the big used parts places would have 'em, likely to be green though...

Bill

That's the Dayton equivelant of a Poulan 245SA (but without PowerSharp). I have one too. Haven't gotten it running yet. I see yours is later than mine, as it has the later button comp release above the muffler, unlike the integrated throttle lock/decomp thumb button that my saw has. There was a corresponding change in the green Poulan 245SA saw (there's a SN break). Very lightweight and handy for a 4.5ci/74cc saw. Post up in the Poulan thread. We'll be glad to see you there and answer any Q's you might have.

photobucket-3513-1328571337825.jpg

photobucket-6631-1328571357170.jpg

Shot these pics the day I received the saw. You can see the green Poulan 245A clutch cover that was on it at the time. Shortly after that I got an orange Dayton clutch cover and a bucking spike from ebay. You can also see orange tab that hangs over my muffler. On your saw, the button type decomp valve is in that location. Your saw also has a black label, which I believe is later style for Daytons. Earlier Daytons like mine have red labels. I believe my ebay clutch cover came from a later saw like yours, as the label on it is black.

You can also see that my thumb button sticks up more, as it's a 'push down and back to lock' style that also activates the decomp. You have the 245A/306A style 'rocker' thumb button that only locks the throttle. I prefer seperate decomp/throttle lock setups like yours, but that's not going to make me give up my saw!:D

Latest posts

Back