De-comp valve installation question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weenieroaster

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Quick question:
After boosting up to higher compression, is a thread sealant normally required when installing a de-comp valve in the cylinder?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Quick question:
After boosting up to higher compression, is a thread sealant normally required when installing a de-comp valve in the cylinder?

Thanks.

No one's watching this forum dude. I'll give you my 2c though.
Compression is nothing compared to combustion pressure. I'd put it back like it was. A couple more psi in compression won't make no difference to the decomp valve.

It was leaking around the threads...it seemed. I put it back in with a little gasket sealant around the threads, and no leak no more.

Thanks.

It was leaking around the threads...it seemed. I put it back in with a little gasket sealant around the threads, and no leak no more.

Thanks.

:ices_rofl:

I had a visual of you putting teflon tape on the threads. Must be cuz I've been in the greenhouse for the last 2 days!

The sealant solved the around the thread leakage, but it was still leaking a wee bit around the plunger shaft. I couldn't find a 10mm bolt with that small thread pitch size, so I took the darn thing out again, cut it in half, tig welded the top and side holes closed, then used the sealant again for a forget about it and get on with life remedy. :chainsaw: I hardly ever used the de-comp anyway, except when surrounded by tree canopy where I couldn't get the saw in a decent starting position.

Last edited:
Back