de compresion button

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone always says the solo's and dolmar's are the same saws, none of my solo saws have a decompressor (651's- 681) but all the big frame dolmars do (6400-up) and you would think they would have one at least on the 681! It has a small starter grip and if you wear heavy gloves and forget to take them off when it's 10 or 15 below that grip will slide right between those gloved fingers!

I figure if they didn't want you to use them, they wouldn't go to the trouble and expense of pitting them on there.
They do relieve a lot of the stress on the starting system, including my shoulders and elbows!

When I bought my 090 I noticed the decomp did not make much of a difference when applied during starting. I figured it was just because of the size/design of the saw. A few months later I had the top cover off for some reason and found the valve had been plugged. That explained a whole lot. Yes, now when applying the decomp there is a noticeable difference.:dizzy:

On my Husky 455 I did it at first then forgot for while...almost no difference a 9 year old girl could start that thing.
Forget on the Mac SP81: you get one spin and your shoulder hurts. Guess the compressions good!

decompression button

I certainly wish my 298xp had one. Starts OK when warm but is a brute when cold. The xp266 is fine without one.

On my 60 cc saws it tends to flood the saw so I never use them. On my 394XP the saw will rock in my hand if don't use it.

decompressor story. A tree climber I know bought a 338xpt husky for an extra climbing saw. He had the saw about 3 months, takes it to the dealer to have it checked out with a couple other saws. (he just does minor stuff not too mechanical) The dealer tells him compression is low on saw, it needs rings. Gets the saw back, runs great. Couple months later hauls his stuff to dealer, he tells him saw needs rings again. He calls me and asks what my saw is at cold, I tell him about 95-100lbs. he says you need a rebuild that's what my saw is at. I tell him this is normal cause the saw has a automatic decompression valve that closes when the engine runs and vacuum from engine closes it. He calls the dealer and they say, what the heck we didn't think of that! They refunded his money for the rebuilds. This is a stihl,husky,dolmar dealer that have bin in business a long time.

Those auto decomp systems are neat, untill they stop working. I had one on my older 357, but the thing wouldent close. So my dealer plugged it up and its never bothered. The 357 is small enough not to even need one anyways. But i am sure glad that my ms460 has one, it makes starting that much easier.

If I ever tried pulling my 3120xp without pressing the decomp the saw would just about rip my arm out of my shoulder. Then I was like, Oh yeah, decomp.

I often don't even use it on my 394xp as I just sometimes forget and it's not really that big of a deal to me even on that saw.

If you pull it like a man most of the time the decomp is not needed. If you half pull it, you get half results or broken knuckles. My 460 actually took more pulls with the decomp pushed than without. So what is worse, a harder pull or several pulls. But all things aside i am an avid drop starter (whoop whoop) :clap:
If you set a high comp. saw on the ground and try to hold it there and pull it without the decomp, it can be a bear, and the manual says to start it that way. But the manual also suggest a "low kickback" bar and chain......who uses them??

Last edited:
If you pull it like a man most of the time the decomp is not needed. If you half pull it, you get half results or broken knuckles. My 460 actually took more pulls with the decomp pushed than without. So what is worse, a harder pull or several pulls. But all things aside i am an avid drop starter (whoop whoop) :clap:
If you set a high comp. saw on the ground and try to hold it there and pull it without the decomp, it can be a bear, and the manual says to start it that way. But the manual also suggest a "low kickback" bar and chain......who uses them??

+1 - drop starting all the way and that pretty much negates decomp valves. Blocked my 076 one anyway

Latest posts

Back