Dead Elm ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary dunfee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a multi-trunked (dead) Elm. The bark started falling off last year. It is located where it will be difficult to fell without topping and bringing down in pieces.

I'm strapped for cash (currently) do to a new furnace, water heater and mower in the last 4- months.

My question is: How long do you think i might have before I need to start to worry about it falling on it's own? If it goes it will probably take out my power lines. I did contact the power company and they won't do anything because it is not directly over the lines,it's about 25 feet from them and the tree is about 70 ft. high.

Thanky you

American elm? It sounds like it was infected with Dutch elm. Getting it out of there sooner is better, chip it up/burn it and kill the bugs under the bark before they spread to a different tree. As for it coming down on its own, it will probably do so over the course of many years, usually in small pieces as the top rots away. After a point it will no longer be safe to climb to remove it. An American elm will not usually shed large pieces for several years.

I'm going to disagree. If the bark is off it is "fair game" to fall any day. I see many elm trees fall as a whole tree. Also, if the bark is off the bark beetles are long gone.

Call around to see of you can find somebody to just blast the top out and leave it lay...that sould be relatively chaep this time of the year.

ATH is right on,

I've noticed if the soil is wet, the tree will rot at the stump and fall. the upper trunk will still be solid and dry. Always thought this happened because elms shed their bark so quickly after death.

As compared to say, a maple or oak, which will shed limbs one at a time as the entire tree turns punky..................

My experience is that elm will stay upright when dead for a good while. But I like ATH's suggestion to at least get the top out to reduce the risk of taking out the utility lines.

Thanks for all of the replies.
I have someone that will top it (relatively cheap) and is good! That should make it short enough that I can guide it down with my backhoe.

Again, thanks I've allways received the help I've needed from this site!!!:clap:

Back