dead tree tops

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charles keeling

Reaction score
due to drought conditions for several years, several trees in my yard have dead top sections. I'm talking about the top 10 to 15 feet of the main trunk. I've been told that they will surely die. Is this true, or might they survive and come back.:blob2:

While all trees eventually die, dieback in the tops does not necessarily mean that death is imminent. What species are your trees? What is the overall height/ what percentage of the tree is dead? Have you addressed the drought issue? Are you certain that inadequate water is the sole cause of the dieback?

Hi, Stumper. Thanks for the reply. Let me give you an idea about the specifics of my trees. They are distributed on 2 1/2 acres of heavy clay soil. The average height would be about 40 to 50 feet. They are Water Oaks and sweet gum, and one is a 35 foot Pin Oak. Although this year has seen more normal rainfall, the last 3 or 4 years has been drought conditions. We've only lived here the last year and a half. I've tried to water some, but really I can't afford to water the whole yard. I plan to start a mulching program, but sofar I've only done a couple of trees. I guess the average dead sections are about 5 to 10 %. What do you think? Thanks for the help, Charles.

It could be defensive dieback. The plant can no longer support all the mass it has, so it sheds the extremities. This usualy is acompanied with a flush of sprouts lower in the tree.

And with that regrowth from below and the dead top there is a need to structure prune to redevelop a balanced canopy.

This pruning can be done over several years so you don't have to be in a hurry next year to fix them. Just address any potential hazards first.

Whats the history of the site?

2 1/2 acres with well spcaed trees sounds like a subdivided home site. This means the site was bulldozed smooth for construction and grass planting. I am thinking this because you said there was a need for mulch.
If this is true... your trees are dying from construction damage to the roots and possibly the root collars and main trunk.
Think about it... bulldozer on the roots, no topsoil left, and no leaf litter to hold water or add organic matter to the soil.
Yes, mulch would help... as far out from the tree as you can afford... or all your leaves can be piled there.
If the site was not cleared and they were all planted after clearing... rooting problems is th next problem. Planted poorly, not enough of a usable soil profile for adequate rooting of trees of that size.

Latest posts

Back