dead wooding ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASD

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK hear it is we are in the middle of trimming a large number of myoporum trees and the scope of work is to "thin out and dead wood". On myoporums what would you conceder "deadwood" ? Wear dose the dead wooding stop and the twig picking start?

Dead wooding

Nothing smaller than 3" across. Otherwise you could spend days in some trees. Get the bigger stuff that will cause damage when it falls out. It's O.K. to knock some of the little junk out if it's in your way. Thats how we work it @ the Co. I work for as well as how I do it for side work jobs.:buttkick:

Depends on how much they want to pay. I always specify in the work order that deadwood over 1 1/2"-2"D is to be removed. If they want it all out then I explain to them the time involved and that time is money.

The ANSI A-300 Pruning Standards state that you should put in the specifications (contract) what size deadwood is going to be removed. That way everyone knows what's to be done. If the specs are for 2"+ diameter deadwood and there is 3" stuff left when you're done - you missed some. If the client says, "Why isn't that 1' stuff gone?" You can say, It wasn't in the contract." If you don't state size, you just leave the whole procedure up to interpretation by the salesperson, the arborist doing the work and the client. Without specs, all three can have a different idea of what deadwooding means.

thanks guys . i was just wondering if there was an ANSI standard. we do put specifications as to what size deadwood is going to be removed. most often it's 2"+ but just thought i would check it out.

Tree Wizard said:
Without specs, all three can have a different idea of what deadwooding means.

So true, the more detailed the agreement, the better off you are. Even if you both write it and perform the work.

Things like

"thinning cuts shall not exceed 2 inch diameter branches"

"the customer agrees to rake and dispose of twigs, leaves and sawdust"

"stump grindings will be raked and piled over pit"

"price includes removal fo debris coarse debris created by our work" so they don't have you cleaning out the 10 years of duff under the trees and in the gutters.

When there are exclusions in the agreement, it is best to have the customer initial of on them to show they are aware of them. This way it makes it harder for them to Refuse To Pay unless you "finnish" the job.

I know a few people who had "get it down only" contracts where the clilent freaked out at the jumbled mass they were left with and insisted that they clean up at the bid amount. One of them now has a clause something to the effect "at the clients discression we will clean up at $XX hourly rate after the tree is on the ground"

Back