Deal keeping vs. convenience

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How do you guys view keeping to a deal you made with a customer vs. matters of convenience (and profit) for yourselves?

Long story as short as possible: Last Thursday aft we show up to do an $875 job, one take down and a trim six big pines to make room for a new house. We tell the guy two of the pines, about 85' each, will never survive the construction, and they wouldn't. We price the trees at $1200 each down and away. The deal was they have to be gone by Monday night because he has equipment coming into dig Tuesday morning. (Right this moment as I am writing this.)

Enter my boss.

He shows up at the job a few hours after me and my climber and a helper get into it, and says he wants the logs. Fine, but I told him we have a deal with the client that the place has to be clear by Monday night. He says his guy with the trailer and clam will show up Monday morning. So we work Thursday aft, a big Friday, and come Monday morning the guy with the trailer and clam is not on the face of the Earth. I told bossman we were going to fry up those logs into nice thin slices, load 'em into the truck and dump 'em. He says no, he wants the logs and says we wait. The end result is the logs are still on the client's property, though out of the way of the shovel he has coming in this morning to dig the foundation. My bossman says that's fine and the customer can bloody well just wait. I said it's total BS and whether you want the logs or not doesn't matter worth :censored:. Our deal was to get the trees off the property in exchange for a fat paycheck, recuperating the logs has nothing to do with our deal with the client. The bossman says recuperating the logs outweighs a "minor" inconvenience to the customer.

So now, 8:58 am Tuesday morning, raining, and I'm waiting for the bossman to pick me up and we meet the guy with the trailer and clam who finally resurfaced and we go get the logs. (As an aside, me and the bossman had a helluva screaming match on the phone this morning. Good fun!)

Bossman says everything is fine, the customer has to accept delays like this. Me? I'm ******* furious and say we should have just cut the logs up, got them off the property and kept to our end of the deal in exchange for the paycheck which was the client's part of the deal.

What say you?

(Hmm, not so short a story after all.)

Sounds like you held him up for ransom in effect by saying "either pay us this much or those trees will still be on the property Tuesday". After he agreed to pay that much, the trees are still on the property Tuesday despite it being well within your power to have removed them by now?

If I were the customer, I'd pay whatever I needed (emergency rates?) to have somebody else chunk those trees up and get them removed by 10am, and subtract it from your fee. If I were a groundie who didn't want to keep my job too much, I might let that thought slip to the customer.

If I were the customer, I'd pay whatever I needed (emergency rates?) to have somebody else chunk those trees up and get them removed by 10am, and subtract it from your fee. If I were a groundie who didn't want to keep my job too much, I might let that thought slip to the customer.

I like it.

Groundman One, you work for a scumbag. If he'll that to a customer, he'll do it to you when it suits him.

Wouldn't of happened here they would have all gone through the chipper before the deadline and I don't mean maybe.I don't know why you guys are making deals with customers the boss should be,I would maybe chip you too! But on a serious side the boss sounds lazy or you overstepped your bounds I dont know which?

Last edited:
Wouldn't of happened here they would have all gone through the chipper before the deadline and I don't mean maybe.I don't know why you guys are making deals with customers the boss should be,I would maybe chip you too! But on a serious side the boss sounds lazy or you overstepped your bounds I dont know which?

It does sound like there are some strange dealings going on at that company doesnt it! lol.

GM, if I were you, I would just "go with the flow", if you know what I'm saying..

GM, if I were you, I would just "go with the flow", if you know what I'm saying..

Yep, it's the bosses job to keep the customer happy and get paid. It's Groundie's job to do what the boss pays him to do, the way the boss wants it done, so the boss doesn't mind paying him. It'll be interesting to see if the customer is one of those feisty Frenchmen who won't take a screwing quietly.

Sounds like a lot of info. missing? Are you a part owner of the company or something? What did it matter to the customer if they were out of the way?

IMO, both are wrong, employees shouldnt be making deals with customers and the Boss should have made the deadline. Personal wants due not over rule agreements. Completely unprofessional.
That is a quick way to get a bad rep.

If the boss has enough confidence in his guys to make deals, then a different story.
My guys know better, no tolerance for that. Dealing with clients, that is my job, doing what I tell them, is theirs.

IMO, both are wrong, employees shouldnt be making deals with customers and the Boss should have made the deadline. Personal wants due not over rule agreements. Completely unprofessional.
That is a quick way to get a bad rep.

If the boss has enough confidence in his guys to make deals, then a different story.
My guys know better, no tolerance for that. Dealing with clients, that is my job, doing what I tell them, is theirs.

I've been with the company for twelve-years and I routinely price jobs and collect for them. The boss, my climber, and myself split the estimates based on who can go see the job and what language the customer speaks. (My boss speaks pathetic French and my climber's English is pretty rough. My French is fine.) When we went to the job today to get the logs, even though the boss was there it was still me who dealt with the customer and collected our fee. (Me and my climber even got a $50 tip each. Sweet!) We are a small group of guys and 95% of the time everything works very well. This was the 5% where it didn't.

My boss still thinks it was right to have the customer wait one extra day for us to get the logs off the property and I still thought that we should have stuck to the deal and sliced them up and taken them away.

As for the person who called my boss a scumbag, that's a bit harsh. He's actually one the nicest most helpful people you will ever meet. But when he gets his eyes on logs from tree jobs, he turns into a crack addict and He-Must-Have-The-Logs even if it slows us down or makes us come to a complete stop. Drives me nuts.

My view - a deal is a deal. His view - a deal is a deal with acceptable deviations. I still think he is wrong. Sure things happen and there are delays and you expect the customer to understand. But not conscious delays just for personal reasons. I think he should have respected my deal and said to hell with the logs evn if it meant a loss of several hundred dollars he would have (will) get from the wood.

Interesting that no one took his side and said that all that wood should not go to waste.

Interesting that no one took his side and said that all that wood should not go to waste.

Well, if he'd contacted the customer yesterday and said that if the wood's gotta go now, it becomes chips, but if we can stage it off to the side for one more day, it will become 2x4s and live on as the framework of somebody's new house, I'd be all for not wasting the wood. If you deviate from contract for your own benefit, you should run it past the customer for approval.

It sounds like your boss was right in the end, if the inconvenience to the customer was minor and he still tipped you $50 each. Customers who are really unhappy about a deadline violation don't give you a nice tip for the great service they received.

I say this groundie , a few logs that are outta way are fine , but just don't promise what your not absolutely sure you can do , thats all I find that if your honest even if they B###H and moan about its usually better than saying something and not folowing through ...

Well, if he'd contacted the customer yesterday and said that if the wood's gotta go now, it becomes chips, but if we can stage it off to the side for one more day, it will become 2x4s and live on as the framework of somebody's new house, I'd be all for not wasting the wood. If you deviate from contract for your own benefit, you should run it past the customer for approval.

It sounds like your boss was right in the end, if the inconvenience to the customer was minor and he still tipped you $50 each. Customers who are really unhappy about a deadline violation don't give you a nice tip for the great service they received.

Agreed.

I think the logs staying there pizzed me off more than the client. No question we did a good job, and we're very friendly guys with the clients, but the way I saw it we had a deal, and business is business. Making the client wait an extra day, even though the logs were out of the way of the machinery he had coming in, was unprofessional.

I agree with ya GM!

I can't believe I agree with a round bacon eater but I do.

I see the confusion with you all being Canadian.Now that the French are involved,it's a lost cause.

I can't believe I agree with a round bacon eater but I do.

I see the confusion with you all being Canadian.Now that the French are involved,it's a lost cause.

Agreed, it was almost hopeless.

But we had a guy come in from Connecticut last minute who was a professional rake-man - he says most guys from Connecticut are excellent with brooms and rakes - and he really helped us out big time. Saved the day, really. :)

Agreed.

I think the logs staying there pizzed me off more than the client. No question we did a good job, and we're very friendly guys with the clients, but the way I saw it we had a deal, and business is business. Making the client wait an extra day, even though the logs were out of the way of the machinery he had coming in, was unprofessional.

a whole day huh and the logs were out of the way big deal things like that can happen so what.

Run it by the customer highlighting the benefits of waiting an extra day or two to have the logs removed. More eco friendly, less saw chips on the lawn, etc. etc. etc. and asked very nicely if leaving it would be a problem. If I sensed the slightest hesitance or felt that this would change there opinion of my operation even a bit I would have brought out the saws and gotten rid of 'em.

Run it by the customer highlighting the benefits of waiting an extra day or two to have the logs removed. More eco friendly, less saw chips on the lawn, etc. etc. etc. and asked very nicely if leaving it would be a problem. If I sensed the slightest hesitance or felt that this would change there opinion of my operation even a bit I would have brought out the saws and gotten rid of 'em.

Bing!

In this case, I sensed hesitation but was overruled by Da Boss.

Latest posts

Back