Dealer Poll: EETC Certification of Value?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl #1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Dealer Service Technicians:
Have you taken the EETC tests?
Were they of value to you, get you a raise?
What reason do you not want to get certified?
I just got back from the EETC conference at Kohler, and I would really like some true feedback on these questions, so thanks in advance.

#1, I have not done the EETC certifications. as a shop owner and service tech, I have yet to be convinced that the EETC certification is of any tangible value to me. Kohler is probably the only manufacturer that comes close to Stihl in its dedication to its dealers and the techs. I have completed all the educational requirements of Kohler and use these valuable lessons and skills daily in the course of my work. I, as a shop owner, and tech see no added value- read financial value- of the EETC certification. As a business owner in the Commonwealth of Virginia, Kohler is REQUIRED to pay my shop labor rate on warranty repairs. Adding the time commitment, loss of billable hours, and miscellaneous other burdens of attaining the EETC certifications for no (financial) return is not desirable. I would gain no tangible benefits for gaining EETC certification.
That said, I am not opposed to education that yields benefits for me or my customers. As YOU know, I have come to the table when a company, such as Stihl, offers a dealer certification program that makes me a better tech and more profitable too. Stihl's Bronze, Silver, and Gold schools for service technicians are, without doubt, the class of the industry in the benefits they yield. I get no additional dollars for being a Gold School graduate, no additional dollars for being a Stihl Elite dealer, and certainly lost income while I was attending Gold School. However, any loss of income was temporary, because Gold School taught me how to efficiently diagnose problems in a quick, concise, and efficient manner. Gold School was well worth the time investment many times over. I recommend Stihl's education program for every Stihl dealer- no matter how large or small. A manufacturer that goes the extra mile- and then some- deserves special recognition and loyalty from its dealers (and customers). The Sage of Gold (our instructor) told us how great it was to have students who wanted to learn the material- not students who were just required be there. Stihl chose very wisely in choosing an educator for this position, not simply an over-qualified service tech as many manufacturers do. Service techs can learn so much more from a professional educator.
All this said, I have yet to see what EETC certification can do for me and my dealership. I, by participation in many training programs, have shown my commitment to higher education and the rewards it yields. I may be missing something- what does EETC certification give me?? Is the lack of interest a shortcoming on my part?? or, is EETC doing an inadequate job of showing me the benefits of their certification process?? Stihl #1 has my utmost respect as a professional educator associated with a world class company. Am I missing some obvious benefit? Your program made me think about many things, and I am the wiser for it, do I need to reevaluate my position.
Your grateful student, Stihldoc.

There is plenty of value in learning as much as you can, but I don't see any value in being "certified".

The more you learn, the better and more efficiently you can work. That's better for both you and your customers. So, we try to take advantage of every quality program out there. (And they aren't all quality programs by any means) Husky's training is very good, and definately worth the time.

As far as certification goes, it has no real value that I can see in the real world. Particularly in the eyes of the public. You want a certified guy working on your BMW. And it's certaiinly comforting to see all of the certificates on the wall in your doctors office. But to Joe Customer, it's just a chain saw, and he's not inclined to pay more to have a certified tech work on it. Also, I think that technician pay should be based on proven performance. A raise based on completing a course makes no sense to me.

I suppose that as you complete any OEM's program, there has to be some kind of "graduation" to mark that completion. So, we all receive those silly little certificates. We just toss them out. There may be some bragging rights vs. local competition, but the only way you really earn your "certification" in the minds of your customers is by building a good, solid reputation over the years.

I've been certified in all six of their categories for about 8 years. If your looking for a good solid knowledge base for Four Cycle Engine, Two Cycle Engine, Compact Diesel, Drive Systems & Hydraulics, Electrical, and Generators, there isn't anything better out there. None of these certifications are brand specific but, every manufacturer has to deal with the same physics in their products. Manufacturers schools show you the most efficient way to repair their products. Being certified has never gotten me a raise, or put any money in my pocket. For me personally, it's knowing why, and not just how.
Gregg

Last edited:
Thanks guys, great response.
Kinda like I figured for a dealer, no real perceived value for the tech, as in more $$$, but maybe in knowing that since you passed a test that is fairly comprehensive and meets industry standards, it means something to you.

So the next question would be:
If you are looking for a new job as a tech., would having these certifications be of value on your resume, or if you are hiring a new tech, would they have value?

The one thing I did get from the conference is that educators are all over having their students get these certifications, and I agree. If a fresh from the vo-tech graduate comes into the dealership looking for a job, having the EETC certs. on his resume would certainly set that individual apart as having learned something. Knowing the kinds of things that are on the tests helps the instructor know what to include in the training program. The EETC has over 80 high school and post secondary schools on their accreditation list.

Anyone have any thoghts on the education side of EETC certs?

The schools and tests I have been through have taught me a little,
but they have brought me no monetary benefit, and very little respect
or compensation from employers.
I have been kind of down lately, as I have worked for a lot of places in the past few years, where absolute morons or new kids make more than me.
But I still get every "special" job on my bench, every one has a story,
and a long reason why we {cannot charge him labor because...},
because someone screwed up somewhere.......................

But when the end of the month labor numbers come up, I am on the low
side of the spectrum, because of yada, yada yada......................

The main lesson I can come up with here, is to not to go into small engine
repair as a tech, unless you like living barely above poverty status.
Go into Boat Motors, or 4 wheelers, or hair dressing.

I might be bitter, yes I am, go get a decent job.

+1, no, +10

Techs - quit your job and haul brush for one of the tree service whose saws you work on - they pay a lot more... and you stay fit. .

Back